New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just bought stock blank, need some coaching
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just bought a piece of Cal walnut, plan to stock CZ 550/416 Rigby. I need to find somebody with a duplicating machine. Would prefer to find someone in Houston or south Texas area.

Also not sure what a fair price is to have a stock made on my blank.

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Billy,

I don't know if you understand that using a duplicator will not "make" a stock from your blank. Given the type of duplicator and the skill of the operator it will give you a semi inlet. That semi inlet then still needs some work to fit the metal. The less work that is needed, the better the duplication and the more it will cost. You will still have to square up the corners on even the best of work. With a $250 and up job, the work if you have any experience will take 2 to 4 hours to get your metalwork in. This is based on a perfect pattern being used. If you want a 95% inlet it will cost in the neighborhood of $100 and you will have a lot more time than that to get it inletted.

I am assuming that by Cal Walnut, you are talking about Claro, which in my opinion is your first mistake. I have seen some good claro but not often.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Chic,

What is it about Claro that you dont like? I assume it is something about the workability of the wood like the density or hardness?? Im working on my first semi's now, one Claro and one American but I havent done enough work on the American yet to reckognize any appreciable difference. What is your opinion of American Walnut? Those two seem to be the most readily available types of walnut around here.

Posts: 10160 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
I agree with customstox in that I'd not build a .416 Rigby on a claro stock.

I'd recommend a Bastogne or English walnut due to it's greater density and strength.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
chic,

I bought California English Walnut, which I undertand to be different than Claro. I grew up in oklahoma, lived most of my life in South Texas.......I'm not what you would call a tree expert. I understand the duplicating process, I should have made myself a little more clear, looking for semi or 95% or so.

One of my concerns is the size of the blank, 37x 2 5/16 x 6 1/4, the blank has been planned on both sides, but would think that is getting on the skinny side for the type stock I want, may have to use it for something else.

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Billy,
So called California English is English walnut (juglans regia) that has been grown in California. I love it and think it is one of the best bargains going in stock blanks today.

You can get by with a blank that is 2" wide and have a cheek piece but you are cutting it thin.

Again the duplication will depend on how much work you want to do. You can have it done on a Hoenig Rodman machine and essentially get it done 1:1. Others claim they can do that on other machines but I have a lot more trust in the Hoenig duplicator given a skilled operator.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chic,

Glad to know I didn't buy firewood. Based on what you said about thickness, you said 2" is bare min, so based on it being 2 5/16 after being planned, in your opinion do you think this will allow me to have decent check piece or am I still on the skinny side. I was concerned also on the 6 1/4.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Billy, it will work. Dressels are good people with a good product and they stand behind it. I bought 3 blanks from them two weeks ago.