New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bolt handle welding needed
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a CZ 550 that has a butterknife bolt handle I need removed and a Talley bolt handle welded on in it's place. Can anyone out there recommend someone for the job? Thanks all.

Posts: 1051 | Registered: 02 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WORLDHUNTER1
posted Hide Post
Depends on what part of the country you live in. Or are willing to ship?

Posts: 238 | Location: MI | Registered: 04 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes,willing to ship.

Posts: 1051 | Registered: 02 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do you want 100% penetration? Inside joke.
Contact Dan Armstrong in Fairbanks, Alaska. He is very quick, reasonable[Too Cheap], and has welded on more than all the smiths on this forum put together.Certainly not saying that as a hit on any of our smiths. Dan is just damn good.
http://www.accu-tig.com/
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll post a couple.

My Grandson's 600 Rem.

You can furnish your own bolt handle if you wish.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had armstrong do some bolt handles for me and paid the extra money for the best job and had them all cut off and done over. If you don't care how they look try him. This just my only experience,but won't go there again.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Katiesguns

I'm not trying to start a pissing match. But I was wondering what you did not like about the bolt handles he done for you ??
I have only heard good things and the photos I've seen of his work looked very good.
I need a bolt handle or two changed and wanted a good job done.

Hal

Posts: 160 | Location: Montana | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was wondering what you did not like about the bolt handles he done for you ??

yeah,, wtf ?

Posts: 1845 | Registered: 01 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll see what I have on the underside. The above photos that I posted were a mauser, 600 Remington, and my Pierce receiver.All of them have a different extraction cam. The Pierce handle was 2 different handles as I couldn't find one that I liked. The mauser was one handle that was shortened slightly. The first photo is the mauser.

Well, I do not have any others from the back side I guess.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never heard or read anything bad about Dan's work until today.All photo's were excellent like Butch's

Posts: 174 | Location: Lakewood | Registered: 02 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by katiesguns:
I had armstrong do some bolt handles for me and paid the extra money for the best job and had them all cut off and done over. If you don't care how they look try him. This just my only experience,but won't go there again.

Are you sure it wasn't Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong who welded yours? Dan did one for me and I've seen others and they are first rate.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The new bolt handle is only half the job. Just as important, it seems to me, is the fitting of the bolt to the receiver.

These two of mine (shown before final polishing) were done by custom gunmakers. I much prefer them because they have the flat milled into them on the bottom, and a concurrent flat milled into the side of the receiver.

The flat in the receiver is milled close to the final amount needed, and then the rest is done with a file so that when the trigger just breaks the filing is stopped. No slop, no bolt jump.

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post

I like this one done by Duane Wiebe. It was done on a mexican mauser, dont know about a CZ, but I cant see why not...
May cost a few dollars more, but...its being inletted into a stock as we speak and I'm likeing how and where the bolt is going to hug the stock. You also have the bolt acting as a 4th locking lug.

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WORLDHUNTER1
posted Hide Post
You might also try mark penrod in Indiana

Posts: 238 | Location: MI | Registered: 04 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike McCabe does top notch work.

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I like this one done by Duane Wiebe. It was done on a mexican mauser, dont know about a CZ, but I cant see why not...
May cost a few dollars more, but...its being inletted into a stock as we speak and I'm likeing how and where the bolt is going to hug the stock. You also have the bolt acting as a 4th locking lug.

srtrax,

Did Mr. Weibe add meat to the metal under the rear portion of that Mauser for the extra receiver lug, or do the Mexicans come that way?

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The action corresponding to the top bolt in the photo above. You can see the flat cutout for the bolt.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like your ready to stock it.
Butch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
The action corresponding to the top bolt in the photo above. You can see the flat cutout for the bolt.

What the heck is that milled cut in the right side of your receiver?

Posts: 4156 | Location: Hell | Registered: 22 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Its called a lightening cut.

Here is what the whole job looks like put together. Nice tight fit. Nothing sticking out. No slop. Works for scopes.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lawndart:
quote:

A picture is easier to explain...if you have a mind to check out my website, you'll see the configuration of the bolt handle root before and after welding

srtrax,

Did Mr. Weibe add meat to the metal under the rear portion of that Mauser for the extra receiver lug, or do the Mexicans come that way?

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Sorry Lawndart, just now seen your post. Duane has it on his web page under Gunsmithing.
I'd do a picture, but the action is an inletting gold mess at the moment!
Duane got ya answered!

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote