New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Grandson's receiver-photos
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Please don't flame me as this is not a mauser or mod 70. My Grandson is 9 yrs old and will probably get a few dings in this.

This is a 600 Remington receiver that has had work done by a few friends for me. They are great guys and understand what my Grandsons mean to me. Mike Bryant reamed the bore, cut the lug abuttments, and single pointed the threads as well a squaring the bolt face. Mike lives in Wheeler, Tex and is a damn good gunsmith. Dan Armstrong in Fairbanks, Alaska did the bolt handle. Dan makes a living tig welding bolt handles. He understands bolt timing!, The bolt is from Dave Kiff and was ground to fit the raceways. I had it made with a .062 firing pin to eliminate piercing primers, fluted to allow dirt on the bolt in a hunting situation and still work with .001 clearance. It has his firing pin assembly and 3 pos safety. Pete Pieper of Precision Barrelwork in Hempstead, Tex installed the Anschutz bolt release. Karl Feldkamp of Kampfield custom made the cutout on the left hand side of the reciever and the cut to open the ejection port. Mr. Jim Kobe installed the 3 POS safety and welded and shaped the cutout for the factory safety. I hope that I haven't missed anybody as they are great smiths and are very honest people. I will chamber it in 6X47Lapua. I am looking for a lightweight stock for it now. Cas11, Charley Santoni will get to put a finish on the barreled action and glass stock. Help me with a used stock. I can do body work on a glass stock. Thanks for looking at Pearce's receiver. His next will be a nice woodstock rifle.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Very nice. Neat little action.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think it looks great!

Posts: 188 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 14 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
I love what you doing for you're for your Grandson! thumb Wow! He will be proud of that rifle! (Of course, he will never be able to settle for a 'cheapy' - not after cutting his teeth on a masterpiece!)
beer

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AWESOME!!!!
Kudos on taking GOOD care of your grandson. That's what life is all about.. thumb

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No, it's not a Mauser or a Model 70, it's about 3 times stronger than either one! Remington actions simply snicker at pressures that would shatter a Winchester and severely distort a Mauser. Excellent choice and excellent work!
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful. It is some comfort to know that three different artists contributed to that. It makes it easier to accept the fact that I couldn't have done it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice!!! Great work by a group of masters. I really like the bolt handle.

Phil

Posts: 535 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 17 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Butch,

If you're making stuff like that for family, please be aware that I am available for adoption.

Garrett

Posts: 987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fortunatly they are all very happy with the end product. My reward is to see the big grin on their faces when they show their buddies.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch

Thanks for sharing the pictures of what can be done to an action to make it into a fine custom rifle.

Be sure to post pictures of the finished project.

Surely one of the nicest REM 600's ever.

What are you doing for a recoil lug?

Hal

Posts: 164 | Location: Montana | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
Butch with a start like that, I will be looking forward to seeing more as the rifle progresses. Great colaboration. Have you worked out the remaining detail yet.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2693 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
Butch,
You had all the right work done by all the right guys!!!! There are a lot of benchresters that will envy the work you had done. I am looking forward to see the rifles progress.

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What kind of buckage you got in it?

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It would have been cheaper buying a custom Remington clone. This is even with help from my friends. Gunsmiths price on a Kiff fluted bolt, firing pin assm., 3POS safety, Sako extractor kit, ejector kit, and the bolt handle welded on was $360. Go figure the rest as only $40 was labor was spent on the above.
Butch

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Butch, just how many grandkids do you have Wink. More I hope, that way we get to see more projects. Great thing you are doing there, teaching them right!
Grandkids being spoiled rotten... Big Grin

Enjoy!

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 1st grand son is du in may.
I think for now he will have to settle for a chipmunk 22.
...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thomas,
When he gets to be 8-10yrs old and shows an interest, you will do your damndest to accomodate him. I would like to rechamber my 16yr old Grandson's rifle, but he won't let me touch it. Said I couldn't improve on what he knows works.
Butch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
I would like to rechamber my 16yr old Grandson's rifle, but he won't let me touch it. Said I couldn't improve on what he knows works.
Butch

Kids got their stuff together!!!
Kudos to the 16 year old. thumb

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 18 rifles now, and all are good ones.
If the little guy shows an intrest , I will probably trim the stock on my little ruger ultra light in .257 Roberts and when he gets bigger either restock or just put a longer pad on it.
But that will be awhile, I just hope he is right handed as I already bought him a baseball and glove !
...tj3006

freedom1st

one of us
posted Hide Post
My daughter is not quite 4 years old now, and I've got a CZ527 carbine I rebarreled to 6.5 Grendel for her. When the time comes, she'll have a lightweight, very low recoil, deer capable rifle. Butch, that's VERY nice work there. It made me look over a 600 I have sitting unused in the safe wondering what I might do with it!

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1182 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Matt,
The Grendel is an excellent hunting cartridge. Not much different than my 270PPC that one of my Grandkids shoots.
Butch

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
What a lovely action!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Earl
posted Hide Post
Looks like your grandson is off to a grand start!

Posts: 364 | Location: Sticks, Indiana | Registered: 03 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch-
Let me know if the tuned 600 trigger group that is in route,works for the application/trigger guard.

Keep'em in the X ring,
DAN

www.accu-tig.com

Posts: 429 | Location: Fairbanks,AK. | Registered: 30 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dan,
You need to answer your phone. Tried to call you twice yesterday. I will call again today.
Butch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is the ejector in the new bolt positioned to eject cases through the notch in the receiver?

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The notch is to allow loaded rounds to be extracted. It wasn't necessary for spent rounds.
Butch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess I would have figured that out if I had caught Lapua in the first post. For some reason I just read 6X47 and thought of the .222 Mag based version.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Butch
i am not sure if it would fit the 600 Reciever, but when Remington first brought out the Model 7's they had 2 different "plastic" stocks.

One for regular production and one for the Mod 7's out of the Custom Shop.

They are both light weight and good handling stocks. You might be able to find one of them or find out who made them for Remington if they were not an inhouse product.

The Custom Shop stock was the lighter of the two.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I should have posted it earlier. David Christman ordered one for a customer that changed his mind. It is for a 600 and will accept Mod7 bottom metal. It weighs 18oz. without a recoil pad. It is a High Tech brand. It sure ain't no McMillan, but after body work and a good paint job, it will be fine.
Butch