New
Find
Notify
Tools

DST arm/kickoff contact point
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Making a kickoff piece for an aftermarket DST on a 98. Making a double lobed one ala Roy Dunlop so as to optimise both triggers. What is the ideal contact point on the rear trigger arm to contact the lobe on the kickoff piece? I know it’s juggling the clearance and leverage for the ideal amount of arm momentum to trip the sear and I can see some kick offs are long and some are short. I have no original kick off to compare.

Posts: 124 | Location: Australia - NSW | Registered: 04 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Your sear arm/leg is too short; make it longer, like this one.

Posts: 17278 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
1/4 to 1/3rd of the way from the front of the kick off trigger; the rear one.
My picture has the triggers reversed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
1/4 to 1/3rd of the way from the front of the kick off trigger; the rear one.
My picture has the triggers reversed.

Somewhere around here?

Posts: 124 | Location: Australia - NSW | Registered: 04 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
bitchy things to fit but oh so nice to have

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, it is not critical. The rear trigger just springs up and hits the sear arm/leg.
I disagree about DSTs; they are terrible in real hunting situations; there is no need for a half ounce trigger, and if you don't set it, you get a 12 pound one.
I missed a deer, and spined a caribou, using them, on a Sharps and a flint lock.
No, they are useless in reality. A good 3 pound single trigger is much better idea.
They do look cool.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok thanks
quote:
if you don't set it, you get a 12 pound one.
well the idea of the double lobes is so you can tune the unset pull to be much better than it would otherwise be with a regular single lob kicker

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I don't know what double lobes or a lob are, but when unset, you have a direct pull trigger; usually not all that light or crisp.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't know what double lobes or a lob are, but when unset, you have a direct pull trigger; usually not all that light or crisp.

This is what I mean by a lobe. The idea is you tune one to give a reliable kickoff from the rear set trigger, but the other can be tuned separately for the best front trigger unset pull. With the single lobe the unset pull is compromised because it has to be in such a place with clearance to allow the set trigger to release the sear. Using this method I see no reason why the unset pull can’t be as good as any single standard Mauser trigger can be, possibly even a little better as the double levers might end up with a shade more advantage than a single. Obviously it’ll never be as good as a Timney etc., but not as bad as regular DST installs.

Not my idea, it’s all in Roy Dunlap’s book

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Ok, anyway, my opinion is that DSTs do not belong on hunting rifles, except as a curiosity/nostalgia for a pre war German rifle.
No advantage over a good trigger, and several disadvantages. And I have fitted many and used them in the field.