Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bolt to cartridge clearance
 Login/Join

posted
what is considered acceptable clearance between the bolt and cartridge rim?

I am building a rifle for 6.5 x 55 sweedish and have a 30-06 bolt face. Do I need to open the diameter of the bolt face?

The rifle will be mostly used for casual target shooting with occasional hunting.

The brass I have fits, but the numbers seem to indicate I need a little more clearance.

Thanks

Posts: 20 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 13 April 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Although it’s true, the spec for case head on the Swede is slight bigger, I’ve never seen one that didn’t fit in a standard boltface made for .30-06

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I build 35 Remingtons on Swedes; they have a .460 case; so even more slop; works perfectly. The most important thing is, will it extract. If it will extract and eject without dropping the case, don't worry about it.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
SAAMI spec shows Swede at .480” - .010” so it will be tighter fit in a boltface designed for .30-06, but, like I said, it usually fits but won’t be sloppy. The extractor might have to be adjust because it may be too tight, not loose unless worn or improperly fitted for a .30-06

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses! I will proceed with it as is.

Posts: 20 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 13 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've done several of these with almost no difficulties.
First, most of the US made 6.5x55 uses the .373 base. Norma, Lapua and the other European makers have the .480 base.
One M48 I converted would shave off portions of the larger cases. Close tolerances. Decision--just shoot US cases rather than adjust the extractor.
As an aside. Even though the difference is relatively small my Krag will jam with the smaller base ammo yet has no problems with Norma, Lapua or Privi.

Posts: 313 | Location: Alaska to Kalispell MT | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote