Find
Notify
Tools

Let The Flaming Begin
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted
Fresh off the duplicator. Rough sanded, no finish. The wood butt extension is to prevent splintering of the butt by the cutters, it will be removed prior to pad installation.

Posts: 1464 | Location: Running With The Hounds | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
interesting looking piece of wood - what is it?

Posts: 664 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Unless I am mistaken it is one hellaciously beautiful piece of maple.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Woodhunter

When you say duplicator, does that mean YOUR duplicator?

One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
Woodhunter

Yes.

Posts: 1464 | Location: Running With The Hounds | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks very nice to me. What's to flame?

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
WOW!

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Quilted maple if i'm not mistaken.

Some guitarist is pist right now. Look great either way.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"flaming"

Are you planning on tiger stripping it?

Curtis

Posts: 706 | Location: Between Heaven and Hell | Registered: 10 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Some guitarist is pist right now. Look great either way

That would look a bueat on a LP with a little tobacco sunburst...

One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kcstott:
Quilted maple if i'm not mistaken.

Some guitarist is pist right now. Look great either way.

Tone wood guys really pist off stock makers. They take a beautiful chunk of stock wood and saw it into 1/4" thick pieces 18" long.

One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by guncurtis2:
"flaming"

No No No!

Its a nice piece of flame maple. I have lots of natural tiger stripe.

One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigster:
Looks very nice to me. What's to flame?

It is flame Maple.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice!
is this going to be for a varmint rifle? it has a very tight pistolgrip, something I like for a varmint rig.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 458AccRel has a stock made from Quilted maple! Everyone that see it is just floored by the grain. Great looking job and will make a great rifle. Clint

Posts: 390 | Location: out side lansing mi | Registered: 28 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
No flame job here, I like maple.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by theback40:
Very nice!
is this going to be for a varmint rifle? it has a very tight pistolgrip, something I like for a varmint rig.

Remington single shot, in one of those magic 22 centerfires.

Look out Coyotes!!

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I love maple stocks. That one looks beautiful. It will make one very distinctive looking rifle.

Mike

Posts: 21698 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
Very bad choice ----- will shift POI every day!!!! Get rid of it at once!! Send it to me and I will take care of it for you!! Will test it for the next 30 years and send it back to you when it is ready!!! Big Grin

STUNNING!!

Posts: 1004 | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by guncurtis2:
"flaming"

No! Striped stuff below.

Tiger Wood. The angled blems are saw blade marks,

Sausage, pillow, flame, whatever the locals call it:

One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
Woodhunter

The beast lives in my shop:

The NorthStar Master Carver. Ugly thing, Not recommended for children. I have posted the photos before, here is another go for those that have not seen them.

One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Boss Hoss:
Very bad choice ----- will shift POI every day!!!! Get rid of it at once!! Send it to me and I will take care of it for you!! Will test it for the next 30 years and send it back to you when it is ready!!! Big Grin

STUNNING!!

Yep, takes this wood a long time to cure. This piece has been silently air curing for 17 years, another 30 should bring it to perfection.

I recall looking at the tree before we dropped it and wondering "Is this the one??????"

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
A genuine maple flame job, aqua fortis (nitric acid + iron filings) followed by blow torch:

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
quote:
Some guitarist is pist right now. Look great either way

That would look a bueat on a LP with a little tobacco sunburst...

Maybe I should try some tobacco stain?

I am off to the store to buy some Beech Nut Chawing T'Baccie and Kodiak Snoose. Then a stop at the llama ranch for a big cup of spit.

One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fla3006:
A genuine maple flame job, aqua fortis (nitric acid + iron filings) followed by blow torch:

Hal Hartley Style! Looking good.

One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
Here is a piece of Tiger with 37 hand rubbed coats of Slakum. No acid or flame used, only the oil.

Another one with only 10 coats. Note the grain goes all the way through the blank.

We call this stuff Death Wood: Wood to die for and some would kill for it. Pretty rare.

This maple has a natural reddish tint, I think it is from the soil mineral content in the local area.

One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
Mad Mad Mad HEY you owe me a keyboard!!!! I ruined this one by drooling all over it!!!!!

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post

It looks reticulated, like a giraffe's skin. Very striking.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13633 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
It will look better with a nice rubbed in finish. The grain becomes more pronounced and the colors richen.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It would look even better on my new heavy varmint 6mmBR. I can pm my shipping address!
Thanks for the picture.

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All it needs is a spray can of trunk pain.
Just kidding. That is one beautiful chunk of wood.

Posts: 273 | Location: Northern MN | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Boss Hoss:
Mad Mad Mad HEY you owe me a keyboard!!!! I ruined this one by drooling all over it!!!!!

Now you see why we call it Death Wood.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It looks Good,but it might be to bright for a coyote rifle Big Grin

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
Nice.

But.......staring at it gives me flashbacks....too much acid back in the hippie days.

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1439 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I couldn't even guess what a blank like those would cost.
All I know is that where ever you are storing them, I hope you have insured the hell out of it.

Cheers, John

Give me COFFEE and nobody gets hurt

Posts: 1608 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phatman:
I couldn't even guess what a blank like those would cost.
All I know is that where ever you are storing them, I hope you have insured the hell out of it.

Cheers, John

You said it.

Just counting the labor and expense involved in dropping a tree, sawing it up, selecting blanks, fussing with drying for 17 years, sorting again for the firewood, planing, and all that, the total expense adds up. The cull rate is very high when chasing figure like this.

The music wood guys have captured most of the good maple and a lot of it goes for export. Should be a ban.

One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
WH---you speak the truth! Bought 5 green Screwbean blanks that were fresh green and 5 years later only 2 made it....

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
When I was in gunsmith school in the 50's maple was the lesser expensive of the two primary stock woods,walnut and maple. At that time as I remember they had three distinct types,birdseye,curly and striped. I built a couple of stocks,one curly and one birdseye. The curly was really hard to scrape in the barrel channel as it tended to be soft between the curls and came out wavy. Made a special barrel rasp to cut the channel if I remember. The birdseye worked real nice but some people complained that the eyes had a tendency to pop out sometimes. Never happened to me. I rather liked curly as it was kinda white and grey and not the honey color of birdseye. Nice stockwoods. They invented a laminated blank at TSJC using alternate laminations of walnut and maple that made a really distinctive stock that I liked very much. Similar to the one Remingtom makes today. One of the popular stock treatment of that time was to carve rather than checker a stock. I became fairly adept at carving an oak leaf pattern and maple was a particularly good wood for this treatment as were the laminates.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
This stuff I play with is Pacific Big Leaf Maple, much different from the eastern maple most gun guys are familar with.

It is hard, dense wood, heavier than walnut.

Ya tools better be sharp!!

And I believe the growing conditions for the wood I have impart toughness, figure and color.

Figure and toughness as the trees are hanging on the west bank of a steep canyon that runs north/south, has wind exposure, plenty of rainfall, and best of all is in elk territory.

Color due to the mineral content of the soil.

Some folks hate maple, some love it. I am not in love with maple, but use it as I have access to some beautiful wood in the raw and can dry the blanks to my specifications.

Plus it is just plain fun making stocks out of wood I have cut myself.

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:
When I was in gunsmith school in the 50's maple was the lesser expensive of the two primary stock woods,walnut and maple. At that time as I remember they had three distinct types,birdseye,curly and striped. I built a couple of stocks,one curly and one birdseye. The curly was really hard to scrape in the barrel channel as it tended to be soft between the curls and came out wavy. Made a special barrel rasp to cut the channel if I remember. The birdseye worked real nice but some people complained that the eyes had a tendency to pop out sometimes. Never happened to me. I rather liked curly as it was kinda white and grey and not the honey color of birdseye. Nice stockwoods. They invented a laminated blank at TSJC using alternate laminations of walnut and maple that made a really distinctive stock that I liked very much. Similar to the one Remingtom makes today. One of the popular stock treatment of that time was to carve rather than checker a stock. I became fairly adept at carving an oak leaf pattern and maple was a particularly good wood for this treatment as were the laminates.

Earlier in my career I worked a couple of years at a place building muzzle loading rifles, your comments about the curly maple and the soft areas between the curls brings back lots of memories.

As much as I would like to have one of my rifles stocked with a piece of wood like the one that is the topic of this discussion, I think the prettiest rifles I have ever seen using tiger stripe maple especially are half stock Hawkens.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote