Find
Notify
Tools

Firing Pin Question
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted
I have a Mossberg Model "L" that has broken firing pin. The frontal part that tapers off to strike the cartridge has been sheared off. Would it be possible to just weld on a new one and trim down the excess, or would it be better to machine an entirely new firing pin?

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1088 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have drilled out and silver-soldered anew tip into a ton of firing pins over the years and it always worked out OK. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3570 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mossberg Model "L"

I think what ever means you have available to use is most likely the easiest.

Because I have lathe I most likely machine one.

If I didn't have one I most likely drill and solider one

Posts: 19430 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Use the lathe to drill and shape after soldering--a lot more efficient than making a complete new one and probably a little better.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
Like Leeper I have silver soldered literally hundreds of drill bit butts into firing pin bodies and hammers to reclaim them. I'm no engineer so I can't say that there is a mechanical reason for it, but I would swear that the soldered in ones actually OUTLAST the original machined ones. Possibly the steel is better and is a contributing factor or maybe there is some mechanical advantage that I'm not seeing, but I have wasted many a moment pondering about it over the years.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
Thanks all! I don't know if there is quite enough metal to drill out a whole to solder the actual pin diameter at the end. What I might try is to cut it down further before it tapers in, essentially cutting it in half. I don't have a lathe, but for small parts like this, I have been experimenting with chucking it up in my drill and using a file to get it down to the correct dimensions. If this doesn't work, its off to the gunsmith.

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1088 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
A soldered pin does not have the same stress riser that a machined pin would have.

One of Us
Picture of Tapper2
posted Hide Post
Usually, a soldered pin is a stronger/higher quality steel than the original pin. The lack of stress risers is also very important. I have done many and never had one come back.....Tom

SCI lifer
NRA Patron
DRSS
DSC

Posts: 654 | Location: Denver, Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2009Reply With Quote