THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does/should this unit work as advertised?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Whidden's Remington 700 bedding block.

I love bedding things with my Devcon Steel and (especially) with my Devcon Titanium bedding putties. However, the idea of using only one (expensive) stock for both short and long actions is appealing.

Is there some merit to this unit?

Thanks guys.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lawndart:
Whidden's Remington 700 bedding block.

I love bedding things with my Devcon Steel and (especially) with my Devcon Titanium bedding putties. However, the idea of using only one (expensive) stock for both short and long actions is appealing.

Is there some merit to this unit?

Thanks guys.

I don't see where you will be able to use one stock for both long and short actions. However when switching one short action for another, or one long action for another, as in 30-06 and 375 H&H, using the same stock, the use of a "V" block makes sense.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I noticed the two separate bolt handle slots. I suppose you could move the ocular lens backward on the short action receiver/ forward on the the long actioned receiver. I will call down to Georgia and see if they make an extra long trigger guard. Maybe I can get some pictures to explain the concept in greater detail.

BTW, that Ruger that you milled and put the Picatinny rails on just went hunting. It fits the new owner just fine.

ld

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
When you click on the order tab you have to choose long, short, right or left.

Glad that pic rail worked out. The other half of that piece went on a Sako. Same treatment. Much nicer! Big Grin

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
quote:
I noticed the two separate bolt handle slot......

I believe the cutout towards the rear of the V-block is for the safety, not a bolt handle.

Jim

Please be an ethical PD hunter, always practice shoot and release!!

Praying for all the brave souls standing in harms way.

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I noticed the two separate bolt handle slots. I suppose you could move the ocular lens backward on the short action receiver/ forward on the the long actioned receiver. I will call down to Georgia and see if they make an extra long trigger guard. Maybe I can get some pictures to explain the concept in greater detail.

BTW, that Ruger that you milled and put the Picatinny rails on just went hunting. It fits the new owner just fine.

ld

Two bolt handle slots also means you would have to file two bolt handle slots in your expensive stock to accommodate long and short actions. Not too swift-looking and that would kinda ruin the expensive stock. The best course would be to use it with one action length.

Posts: 3780 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The problem with V blocks and other fixed "bedding" systems is that even though they might be able to machine them to gnat's eyelash tolerances they have no control over the tolerances of the action manufacturer.

With a custom action you are probably safe, but if you are talking a factory action chances are it is not straight, true, of consistent size, etc. That being the case, fixed "bedding" systems are always a compromise.

I have a picture of a couple different Remington custom actions set up in a v block that illustrate the issues very well. If I can dig it up I will post it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've considered doing something similar for standard Mauser actions to create a "switch barreled receiver" rifle system. Basically, have a slightly oversized bedding block embedded in a high quality stock, one customized bolt and bottom metal. It is pretty easy now to get multiple 1908 Brazilian, VZ 24 and other receivers w/o bolts for little money. Then barrel several in x57 family cartridge chamberings with identical contours. Lastly and most importantly, steel bed the receivers to the bedding block with the release agent on the bedding block. That way each receiver will be a perfect fit when you change.

Posts: 3780 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback.

The two bolt handle idea made no sense after I thought about it a while; should have done that before my last post.

That is an interesting thought Bobster. It might also be applied to the Remington receivers in this case./

one of us
posted Hide Post
Again thanks,

I am coming around to the idea of bedding ONE receiver in a stock, and then fitting multiple barrels appropriate for the magazine/receiver. When the time comes (patience is a virtue; it is the waiting around that I cannot stand.), that will go a long ways toward holding costs down on testing for accuracy and comparing pressures/velocities to the last lot of ammunition.

LD