Find
Notify
Tools

Modifying Marlin Lever Action
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of wingnut
posted
Can any of the modern Marlin solid-top, side-eject lever actions be modified to feed and chamber the .348 Winchester case?

How hard is brass to find? I am interested in a project using a wildcat based on this case.

Posts: 683 | Location: L A | Registered: 23 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wingnut
Seems like I read somewhere that the rim at .610 was too large for either the tubular magazine or to feed through the action, I can't remember which. What would be wrong in using the 45/70 or 444 Marlin, or 450 Marlin as the case for your wildcat?

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
From what I've read, mechanically its doable. Its a routine project for many gunsmiths building 50 AKs. The 50AK is based on the 348. The problem is preasure. I beleive the 348 will push the 95 past its limits. The 50 AK runs preasure in the 35000 range where 348 is, I beleive, in the 50000 range.

Since my information is based on what I've read, it may be useful to talk to lever gun smiths. Wild West Gun in AK, DRC, Clements and Brockman's come to mind.

My 2 cents...

<Pfeifer>
posted
Funny this question should come up...I know of someone who owns one of the original Marlin Model 36 prototypes in .348 Win [Smile] Why this never made it commercially I don't know...could well be for one of the reasons suggested - pressures.

As for .348 Win brass, I have a bunch of it and I do also see Win brass for sale. I believe that Winchester makes runs of it from time to time. I bought a large bag (250 pcs) of it for some Alaskan projects.

I have Brophy's Marlin book and I don't believe this is even covered in it. That is a great Marlin book and usually has everything in it.

Jeff P

one of us
posted Hide Post
A couple of months ago over on the HA forum some guy named Atkinson was pretty vehement that this could not be done. Personally I think that since Wild West Guns is currently making a .50 Alaskan Marlin, which is based on the .348 Win., it should be possible to do what you want. Maybe he'll pipe in here and tell us why not.

As for .348 brass, it's all over the place. I bought about 500 from Midway a couple of years ago and they still have it. No problem.

[ 06-28-2003, 15:03: Message edited by: Talking Head ]

Posts: 117 | Location: U.S.A | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a 50 Alaskan built on a 1895 Guide Gun. It was built by David Clay in Texas. According to Dave, it was a very straight forward conversion. If the 1895 can be coverted to the 50 Alaskan without a problem then the 348 should not be a problem at all, at least size wise. Good luck.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Also the 348 is a relatively low pressure cartridge so no problem there. Not a conversion I have ever tried but I suspect it would work OK. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3784 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The rim diameter of a 45/70 and a 348 are almost identical. (+/-.002") The OAL of the 348 is .250" longer than the 45/70. The length is probably the difficult part.

Hart

[ 07-01-2003, 21:07: Message edited by: hart ]

Posts: 307 | Location: Vancouver, BC. | Registered: 15 July 2000Reply With Quote