Find
Notify
Tools

Action Hardening...Reharden
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ab_bentley
posted
Does rehardening of a Mauser action, say a small ring Mexican, allow you to shoot modern pressure cartridges?

I hashed this out with someone today, he said no you're crazy, I said yes.

What's the consensus here think/ know....

Ammo, you always need more.

Posts: 463 | Location: Dresden, Ohio | Registered: 09 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check out this very informative thread. This question gets asked a lot here on A.R., and this thread seems to be the standard reference. It is also permanently posted in the "Reference Material Links" thread, at the top of the Gunsmithing section.
You will probably find the comments by D'Arcy Echols and Tom Burgess ("system98" in the thread) most germain to your question. I won't summarize it for you. Anyone interested in learning about heat treating needs to read it. Some very experienced gunmakers might disagree with what is said, but I'd place my trust in the words of these two gentleman over anyone regarding this subject.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...=287103131#287103131

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Definitely read through that thread. Lots of solid information from the Deans of this art.

You are on the right track, but missing a key point. The 98 pattern Mauser was already designed around a modern high pressure cartridge in the 8mm. Even a small ring variant like a Mex or G33/40 can take high pressure as is.

Re-hardening makes it so that you never have to worry about lug setback. Think about it. A 100 year old Mauser has seen thousands of rounds and the lugs have been worn down little by little. Rehardening restores the lug wear surface (case thickness) and resistance to set back.

It is an insurance policy to bring the action back to 100% original strength so it lasts thousands of more rounds.

96 pattern and prior were not designed for high pressure rounds, so it doesn't matter what you do, they are just not suitable. I'll say that the 96 is a gray area, though.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ab_bentley
posted Hide Post
Jeremy, that's my understanding also, lug set back. Not the issue of cracking or destruction.

Adam

Ammo, you always need more.

Posts: 463 | Location: Dresden, Ohio | Registered: 09 January 2012Reply With Quote