New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bueler type safety for Mauser problem
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am trying to change out the stock safety catch on a Husqvarna 1100 with a Timney Bueler style saftey for Mausers mod.# M-98 LPS. The problem is the bolt sleeve will not thread all the way down to the proper position on the bolt upon reassembly as it does with the stock catch. The catch shaft on the end is obviosly cut different than the stock catch (shaft) not allowing full seating of the bolt shroud. The cut on the Timney can't be lined up to accomodate this, even as per instruction supplied. Any ideas?....Thanks...Hutt

Posts: 147 | Location: SW Wash | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Usually the only thing that has to be done is to relieve the BOTTOM half moon cut on the safety shaft so that it clears the bolt. I've never had to shorten one. Buehlers are usually very easy to fit. I haven't installed many of the copies though just the originals but I've long since run out of them.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
From your description of the problem, I don't think the safety installation itself is your problem. When you replace a three-position safety with a two-position safety, you loose the "disassembly position." Pull the cocking piece back and stick a washer or the like between it and the shroud. You should then be able to screw the shroud all the way home. The photo below shows how I block the cocking piece back with a penny.

Clemson

NRA Endowment Member
US Army Veteran
CWP Holder
Gunsmith

Posts: 338 | Location: Greenwood, SC | Registered: 06 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Clemson, You saved me a whole lotta head scratchin.............Hutt

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well I got it to function after replaceing the cocking piece that I beveled to much in order to facilitate easier movement of the new saftey. This time I only polished the edge of the cocking peice (without changeing the angle) to achieve easier movement, but it is still a bit stiff. Again thanks for the input guys......Hutt