THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Easy way to get camo tap residue off ??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Glen71, You may be referring to "Goof Off" which is in a small yellow and red can, has the feel of lighter fluid and is sold to do what you referred to.

Don't cringe, but WD-40 or about any light oil or solvent will work, just try to pick a poroduct that does not harm the surfact that you are cleaning.

Posts: 121 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PC, any gun oil will take it off, if it's REALLY stubborn, eucalyptus oil does the trick (same for any sticky residue from price tags, etc) check before using on plastic, though!!

Posts: 1275 | Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
There is a household product called Goo-Gone that works real well on glue residue.

Posts: 12711 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks pds...so some metholayted spirits would do the trick I would say. I just thought there was a chemical designed especially for the said application.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Taurus Bill
posted Hide Post
I've seen lighter fluid do a great job as well.

Posts: 179 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: 28 January 2003Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
As you are noticing, most any solvent will work in a pinch, even WD40. Heating with a hair dryer and wiping with a paper towel will work also.

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've had two or three customers bring rifles in with this problem...Kroil has worked for me.

Posts: 6 | Location: Northern NM | Registered: 29 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
Good old WD40 will remove it, I was using this stuff to remove labels years before GOO Gone was on the market. It wont hurt your gun either!!

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

"Glen71, You may be referring to "Goof Off" which is in a small yellow and red can, has the feel of lighter fluid and is sold to do what you referred to."

Paul, you are absolutely correct! The stuff works a lot better than my memory!!

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kroil also works.

Geronimo

Posts: 816 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
About the only thing WD-40 is good for.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I've seen lighter fluid do a great job as well.

I second on the Lighter Fluid. A man at the camera shop told me years ago it is what he uses to remove all of the sticky labels. It won�t hurt the finish on a camera it should work on a gun, but I would try it on an inconspicuous area first.

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
WD-40 has worked for me.

Posts: 32 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 02 October 2004Reply With Quote