New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pre-64 Bolt Handle Redo
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've got a pre-64 win 70 ser# 581xxx that a previous owner excessively ground (weakened) the bolt handle shaft/stem so as to fit a weaver K6-W (wide eyepiece) in low weaver rings.

What I would like to do instead of having the handle cut off and a new one installed is to take it to the welding shop and have it tigged and built up so I can reshape it back closer to original.

My question is:

will the tig welding generate enough heat to cause problems at the handle/bolt junction such as the handle coming off. How were the handles originally attached?

Thanks,

RJS

Posts: 210 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 03 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RJS, the handle won't come off. Winchester made the bolt and handle as a one piece forging. Over-heating can cause trouble in other areas, such as annealing of the cocking and extraction cam surfaces. It can be done if the welder is careful and takes precautions to control the heat.

Posts: 545 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Don't bother with that. Find a bolt handle that looks like the m70 and have a "professionaly" gunsmith weld it on, reshape and polish it. You'll have much less risk than taking it to a tractor weldor and having him build it up.

Trust me on this one.

Talk to Jim Wisner. He probably has the right bolt handle. If not, I might be compelled to parting with one of mine.

Posts: 1634 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My experience is that the bolt handle on Model 70 Winchesters (current Classic series) is not a one piece forging. The bolt handle is press fit to a spline on the rear of the bolt. I've had them fail and the handle has come right off.

Posts: 260 | Location: Dartmouth, Massachusetts, USA | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Roy
Note that the title says pre64 and the serial no. 581xxx dates it as 1963. This is not the same as your classic "pre64" style. FYI

Posts: 154 | Location: Clio, Alabama | Registered: 17 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just have another M-70 style bolt tigged on it..building up a bolt handle is a practice in futility IMO..

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Senk me a note if you are interested. I have a friend who had his rifle stolen without the bolt. He has given up waiting and plans to sell the bolt.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RoyB, how did you have the handle come off your Classic? I'm trying to figure that out because if the bolt sleeve is screwed on how's the handle going to pull of the bolt body?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would have no problem with building up and reshaping the original handle. A good welding shop and a welder who is competent with TIG can do a good job of buildup I would think. I know some top level custom makers who farm out the welding of handles and it works out fine for them. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3767 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote