Find
Notify
Tools

Pre-64 bottom metal
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted
I just received this today from Williams Firearms. I'm more than pleased. A bargain by any standard. Thanks Matt thumb

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That doesn't look like to shabby of a piece of wood sitting underneath the new metalwork. What are you making.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The bottom metal looks pretty slick! thumb Was it polished like that when you got it, or did you do that? I was wondering if maybe you could give me a top and side view as well?

I really like the looks of that and may get one for a personal project.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
22WRF, I just picked that piece of wood up off ebay, not sure what I'll do with it. I have a piece of English that I had Mike Kokolus turn off his pattern that I will be using this bottom metal for.

Marc, that's how it arrived. I'll get those pics up tonight. I have to go check out the fire that's been knocking on the door for a couple days. Real dry here in Mt.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post

one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
That should come out looking real nice Dempsey....

Please send me some pics of the finished project when you're done. I always enjoy seeing our parts sitting in a nice piece of wood.

beer

The pre-64 model that we make is my favorite out of the bunch, since it has the narrower guard and makes for good lines.
I've been kicking around offering that design for post-64's as well, but requires a custom stock that has had no inletting done on it. Even a semi-inlet wouldn't work, but the end result would be quite nice.

Williams Machine Works

Posts: 1021 | Location: Prineville, OR 97754 | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Matt, I know this has been kicked around a bit, but are you in the process of making Mauser 98 bottom metal? Is it in the design phase? Production? Still in the "wish list" phase?

Thanks....

MKane160

You can always make more money, you can never make more time...........LLYWD. Have you signed your donor card yet?

Posts: 488 | Location: TN | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MKane160:
Matt, I know this has been kicked around a bit, but are you in the process of making Mauser 98 bottom metal? Is it in the design phase? Production? Still in the "wish list" phase?

Thanks....

MKane160

It's still something we would all really like to do, but we're up to our eyeballs right now in Remington and Winchester bottom metal.

We're trying like hell to get our short-action model 70's completed, while not putting off our existing orders for everything else and it's not leaving much time for more R&D.

The guard itself is not that difficult or the floorplate for that matter, but working on a reliable source for the mag box or devising a satisfactory method of attaching the two takes time.

I've got too many irons in the fire right now and hopefully a couple will actually make me some money.

Williams Machine Works

Posts: 1021 | Location: Prineville, OR 97754 | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dempsey,

Thanks for the comments and pics.

Any chance you could post a pic of Mike Kokolus pattern?

I have been toying with having him do one for me, however, have never seen his pattern before. I understand it is a nice classic pattern, but a pic or two would be awesome.

Bob

one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
I'll post some when I get home later today.

one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
A couple pics...As received I'd call it a bit fuller than I like but that's good as it leaves me plenty of wood to play with. I've just finished the butt plate so it's still pretty much as I received it otherwise. It's by FAR the best job I've received from a duplicator.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting those, Dempsey!!

I like that pattern very much. It is pretty much what a rifle stock should look like, to me at least.

Quick follow-up question(s).

About how much drop is there at the comb nose and heel?

Approx how long is the forend? Looks like you will put s tip on there, no?

Regards,

Bob

one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
I've planed down the top already, I can't recall what it came as. As it stands now it will be .75 at the comb and a little over an inch and a quarter at the heel. The forend is 10 inches ahead of the recoil lug.