THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which barrel threads are bigger in diameter?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am planning on taking a barrel off of a Rem 700 long action. I was looking to see if that barrel could clean up without cutting the whole thread shank off and start again to get it threaded for a VZ-24. Meaning I would also have to set back the chamber the length of material removed from the length, losing an inch or so of barrel length in the process. Make sense?

Posts: 986 | Location: Columbia, SC | Registered: 22 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IIRC you can cut a Rem thread down to fit a small ring mauser thread, but (again) IIRC the large ring thread is bigger than the remmy thread

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Yup, the Rem major dia is 1.06 and the large ring is 1.1.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Okay, that's kinda what I figured. Dunno why, but whatever. Okay, now would I still have enough "meat" around the chamber after recutting it back to spec if I removed the threaded portion and rethreaded (not that I was the one performing the work per se, but you get the point)? We are talking about a 375 RUM btw.

Posts: 986 | Location: Columbia, SC | Registered: 22 January 2005Reply With Quote