Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lee Enfield MK V scope mount
 Login/Join

posted
I have been asked to mount a B-Squre scope mouint on a MK V. instructions seem simple but the mount does not fit properly. had to cut part of mount so it sits "flat" over the rear sight base. now, the ejector screw does not seem to be long enough ( the one that came with the mount ) and is seems that i would have to mill the left side of the rear sight base to get it close enought for the "long" screw to reach.
Also, the rear holes that get pinned , seem like they are offset and does not look like a mount that I would use.
anyone else have issues with puting the mounts on the MK V ? really hate to mill ANY material off the rifle. it is nothing pretty , but is still a shooter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is it a genuine No5 as in a Jungle Carbine or a genuine Mk V as in the SMLE "Trials Rifle" built in the 1930s? If so I wouldn't touch it.

I'm confused as if you are saying Mk V and "rear sight" you have something worth here in the UK (and I guess elsewhere) into the $1000 region.

What is marked on the wrist of the rifle? If it is Mk V and a serial number with an A or B prefix you are wrecking any collector value if you drill one single hole or grind one single cut!

If it has something like No 5 Mk I marked on the side of the receiver you are doing say $200 worth of work to turn a $800 rifle into a $150 rifle!

Or is it one of those fake and made up Mk V "Tanker" rifles that are worth "Jack Sh1t"?

If so grind away as a little more here and there won't spoil its value and will indeed make a nice handy little woods rifle.

Posts: 6818 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I may have misled some of you. here are more ID marks on the gun.:
on the band , right side of the wrist:
proof mark of a crown with GR below crown,
enfield, 1922,S ht underlined LE and a V below it all.
i am having trouble identifying it properly and cannot find a scope mount on the commercial market. like i have mentioned, the B square mount says it is for flat side receivers, and the rifle brought to me does not have a flat side.
any input would be helpful.

posted Hide Post
P.S. it has a 25 1/2" barrel

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can you post a picture of the receiver? If not email me a picture to rgg_7@hotmail.com. I'm very familar with the British Enfield and it sounds like you're describing a trials rifle.

posted Hide Post
after more searching the web ( wow, what a novel idea !) i found that you are correct. it is a no. 1 mk V trials rifle. the S ht LE stands for "short"
and after searching the web, I am finding they do not have a scope mount for this model.

maybe I should make some and sell them !! then again, maybe not !
I just might send that picture to you rgg_7, but ni won't get back to the shop till tuesday
thanks for the help !

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Send me the info and I'll confirm what you have. I suspect that you have a 1922 MKV trials rifle. There is no commerical scope mount made for these as they are a transitional model.Not much demand for a scope mount on these. Has the rifle been sporterized? That is has the military wood been removed or cut back? Ron

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A No 1 Mk V trials rifle in the original wood goes for NZ $2500. A 'sporterized' version with the forward wood removed went for NZ $1200.

Try this site http://www.fulton-armory.com/MomsGun.htm.

Arte et Marte

Posts: 116 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 09 September 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
no original wood. definately sporterized