New
Find
Notify
Tools

Paint for synthetic stocks
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone have a paint suggestion for a do it yourself repaint of a synthetic stock. Krylon has been suggested. Also, what did you use to degrease the stock before painting.
Plan B is does anyone have a gunsmith recommendation to have the repaint done professionally. My local Smith just closed the doors and retired.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I use all kinds of paint on them. Brownells Alumihyde works for me. I have used the "Kotes" that are used on metal too; dura, cera, gun. I usually use alumihyde.
I would not pay anyone else to do it; it is too easy to get a can of 25 dollar paint instead of paying $200 for the same thing unless you really want to spend money.....
Degrease? 409. Acetone. Xylene. Lacquer thinner. etc.

Posts: 17182 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Krylon Fusion, degrease with mineral spirits or hot soapy water.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Trunk paint works good.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division.

Posts: 1034 | Location: Oklahoma y'all | Registered: 01 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
I assume by " synthetic " stock, you mean plastic, ABS ( Butler Creek, Champion, etc ) and not fibreglass ?.....just like to clarify.....

Roger

Posts: 1041 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The gun was built by McMillan so I presume it is a McMillan fiberglass stock. The butt stock sounds hollow when you knock on it. Is there a more suitable paint for fiberglass? I know enough about this to be dangerous!

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rustoleum in a rattle can.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nopride2:
Rustoleum in a rattle can.

Dave

That's what I have used. Mine doesn't have any checkering so last time I used some that was textured which gave a little better grip.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3829 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I have an MPI fiberglass stock that I painted in the early 80s using automotive metal flake paint. It's held up well.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12603 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Textured:

https://www.krylon.com/product...one-textured-finish/

They also make a coarser version.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Texture.
Mask off your chosen grip pattern. Paint with a thin epoxy and sprinkle with sand, shell or other. Paint when dry.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
In preparation for painting a "plastic" stock is any sort of surface "etch" or other pre-treatment required/preferred?

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4244 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I sand with 220 Grit and then degrease with acetone. Use painters tape on the bedding and recoil pad. I use Polane-T for paint but Duracoat is about the same thing. For texture on the grip areas I tape around the area I'd like texture and then apply marine-tex and dab with my finger to raise it. I don't know about the krylon paint as a stock paint. I would wonder how it holds up to cleaning solvents or just general use. But admittedly I have no experience with it. Even if it wears out I guess it's easy enough to do the job again in a couple years.
quote:
Originally posted by TCLouis:
For painting a "plastic" stock is any sort of "etch" pre-treatment required/preferred

Posts: 581 | Location: Weathersfield, VT | Registered: 22 January 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
McMillan paints their stocks with Polane. I think that is a two part epoxy industrial coat.

They will repaint the stock for a nominal fee, ($40.00). It will be exceedingly durable.

Enjoy

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote