Find
Notify
Tools

Need a thread protector for a muzzle brake
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted
I have 458 Win mag that I got last summer that has a muzzle brake. I intend to use the brake at the range and shooting hogs, but want to hunt dangerous game without it.

Are these commercially available? Or can someone make one?

What dimensions do you need from me?

Thanks!

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
I think this might work?

http://www.midwayusa.com/produ...cm_vc=ProductFinding

or

http://www.hooperordnance.com/page.aspx

The measurements I took on my rifle are:

OD = .700" (but I could go larger if an off-the-shelf item would work)

Length of thread = .360"

Diameter of thread on barrel = .625"

Pitch = 24

So assume 5/8"-24 is the thread spec?

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i made one the other night.the customer wanted the barrel cut down so i used the cut off end of the barrel for the protector cover. i cold blued it after knurling. brownells also sell the covers in the standard 5/8-24 threads.

Posts: 981 | Location: Shenandoah Valley VA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Austin,

Yes, 5/8"-24 is the thread spec. That is pretty standard for rifle brakes.

Any protector with that thread will work. Those you list, or I get them off of ebay for about $10-15 shipped.

Off the shelf will protect the threads, but not fit the contour of the barrel or look as nice. Custom will look nicer, and fit the contour of the barrel. Your choice on that.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Found a guy here in Austin that makes them. Will report back after I meet with him.

One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
KDF usually has them in stock.... on 46, outside of seguin.... btw, hows the 9.3 coming???

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
The 9.3 is on hold, trying to finish my 404 and put some fine touches on my 458 win mag. One or both are going with me this fall for elephant.

On the 9.3, working on a pattern stock right based on the one I got from you. I also got a nice butterknife handle from a guy in Australia for it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try looking on some of the CIII (full auto and suppressor) web forums. There are numerous gunsmiths who specialize in this type of thing that will make it for you no problem. PM if you need the website addresses.

Posts: 528 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
I found a guy here in Austin (actually Round Rock) that is making me a protector. It looks like many of the commercially available ones would have worked, but they were all knurled.