Find
Notify
Tools

Whats wrong with this Rifle
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted
I have a Winchester M70. While firing it the other day it went haywire on me.The last two rounds of the eight fired delay fired,when I pull the trigger I get a click but it doesn't fire. However, if I pull hard on the trigger it fires or if I touch the bolt handle it fires. The same thing happens dry firing. I'm thinking a dirty firing pin/spring or a problem with the sear. What are your ideas?

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
It could be exactly what you're saying. I'd want to see it & play with it myself to be sure. Which model? Any mods? New or used? Have you had it apart for any reason? Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like sear engagment in your bolt and trigger housing. Better have a qualified gunsmith to check it out! van

Posts: 442 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
Big Nate,Model 670 ranger. I had it rebarreled to 338-06 several years ago and a new firing pin spring last year. It has worked fine until Sunday.I had fired 6 rounds no problem then click.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
It sounds as if the trigger has come out of adjustment in it's relationship to the sear. Model 70 triggers are fairly simple. If you can remove the barreled action from the stock you should be able to see what is wrong. It sounds like the trigget stop, which is a screw with a set of jam nuts has come loose and the stop has screwed in. I come to this conclusion because you said if you pulled really hard it would go off. Check it out and see.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
waveI had a similar experience with a .308 Mauser years ago. There was a slight obstruction preventing my bolt handle from going down far enough. A fine file removed the offending burr and it has worked right for at least 18 years. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote