THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 H&H on Ruger action -- any problems?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Will I run into any problems making a 300 H&H out of a Ruger 7 mm Rem. Mag. action?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Now that's a good idea. I hadn't considered such a simple conversion to get a 375 in a ruger action. Sure beats the price of the official 'safari' model by any maker. I wonder if the stock will have cracking problems? I know it wouldn't if converted to the 300 H&H as the original poster asked, but the 375 might be a different story. maxman

Posts: 337 | Location: Minnesota, USA | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Now that's a good idea. I hadn't considered such a simple conversion to get a 375 in a ruger action. Sure beats the price of the official 'safari' model by any maker. I wonder if the stock will have cracking problems? I know it wouldn't if converted to the 300 H&H as the original poster asked, but the 375 might be a different story. maxman

I seem to recall in a subsequent issue of Rifle Magazine that Dave Scovill mentioned that the stock had developed a crack on the converted rifle. No big surprise there. A crossbolt or two would probably prevent it. (I'm not a gunsmith so I have no expertise in this area.) I do own a Ruger M77 Magnum in .375 H&H but ever since I saw this article the idea of a .300 H&H on a Ruger standard action has intrigued me.

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote