New
Find
Notify
Tools

Auto-5/Model 11?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What are the differences between the Browning Auto-5 and Remington Model 11? Advantages of one over the other? I recently inherited a 16gauge Model 11 and noted the Browning patent on the barrel. Is a "sweet sixteen" Browning manufactured only? Are parts generally interchangable between the two?

Posts: 76 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 06 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As I remember most of the parts interchange,but the Sweet-16 was just a browning ,, I think the 11 did away with the friction ring, not sure on it tho

Stay Alert,Stay Alive
Niet geschoten is altijd mis

Hate of America is the defeat position of failed individuals and the failing state

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave James:
As I remember most of the parts interchange,but the Sweet-16 was just a browning ,, I think the 11 did away with the friction ring, not sure on it tho
Not true. Almost no parts interchange between the two and the Model 11 does indeed use friction rings (it has to, it's a long recoil design).

Posts: 475 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: 15 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of covey16
posted Hide Post
I don't remember the Model 11 having the Browning magazine cutoff.

Covey16

Funny,After a rotten war like this,how hard it is to leave- Duncan Grinell-Milne

Posts: 4197 | Location: Sabine County,Texas | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pharmpoke:
What are the differences between the Browning Auto-5 and Remington Model 11? Advantages of one over the other? I recently inherited a 16gauge Model 11 and noted the Browning patent on the barrel. Is a "sweet sixteen" Browning manufactured only? Are parts generally interchangable between the two?
The Auto 5 has a sliding ejector and the Model 11 has a fixed ejector. Almost no parts will interchange, save for the recoil springs, friction rings, etc. (small items). The advantages that the Auto 5 has over the Model 11 and other "clones" is tremendous: PARTS AND SERVICE. The Browning long recoil design is a fairly complicated, close-tolerance design. The Model 11 was discontinued in 1951, the Auto 5 in 1998. If you find yourself in need of parts for a Model 11, plan on cannibalizing another and either machining or having the parts machined to fit. There were far fewer Model 11s manufactured than Auto 5s. An Auto 5 will still be serviced by Browning, extra barrels are readily available, etc. An Auto 5 will be far more practical than an obsolete clone. I've owned a few Remington 11s and Savage 720s over the years, and while they've been good shooters, they've been limited in their uses.

As for the Sweet Sixteen, that is a Browning exclusive. It simply refers to the lightweight version of the the 16 gauge Auto 5.

Posts: 475 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: 15 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by covey16:
I don't remember the Model 11 having the Browning magazine cutoff.

Covey16
The magazine cutoff is a Browning exclusive, as is the split carrier feature of the post-war Auto 5s.

one of us
Picture of covey16
posted Hide Post
The only disadvantage I can think of is the" Browning fore end crack " if you don't reassemble it properly.
Just some guy, you seem very knowledgeable for just some guy.
You wouldn't know where there was a good modified choke barrel for a pre war 16ga standard weight Browning would you?
Or a modified Weaver screw in choke?

Covey16

Funny,After a rotten war like this,how hard it is to leave- Duncan Grinell-Milne

Posts: 4197 | Location: Sabine County,Texas | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You wouldn't know where there was a good modified choke barrel for a pre war 16ga standard weight Browning would you?
Or a modified Weaver screw in choke?

Covey16
Not off hand. Who was that guy from Alabama who runs or used to run the ads in Gun List? He has a website and carried things like that from time to time. At any rate, I had a pre-war Auto 5 in 16 gauge several years back and had no trouble getting a later (sixties) manufactured barrel to fit and function. My gun was originally a 2 9/16" chambered gun that had been converted to 2 3/4" at some point. I got tired of the 16, wanted interchangeable chokes, so I traded it off for a new Light 20 with Invector Plus. And I don't regret it.

My dad still uses a Sweet Sixteen, but he's beginning to tire of the limited selection of shells and accessories and will probably retire it and move on to something like a Gold Hunter or Super X2 within the not-too-distant future.

I'm an Auto 5 fan from way back, but it's been outclassed by newer designs, like Browning's own Gold; softer recoil, fewer moving parts, no adjustments to make, easy safety reversal, etc.

one of us
Picture of covey16
posted Hide Post
This one belonged to my grandfather.
I got it back in the mid 60's.
Was converted to 2 3/4 back in the 50's.
Can't use it ducks since steel shot laws
Use it quite a bit for dove and squirrel.
Lots of memorys.
I tend to hunt with weapons older than I am.
Just a personal quirk.
Lots of good miles left in the Browning.
I have a Rem 870 and Win Super X1 for ducks and geese.
Just ain't the same.
I guess I need a Miroku Auto 5.

Thanks for the response.

Covey16

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
This one belonged to my grandfather.
I got it back in the mid 60's.
Was converted to 2 3/4 back in the 50's.
Can't use it ducks since steel shot laws
Use it quite a bit for dove and squirrel.
Lots of memorys.
I tend to hunt with weapons older than I am.
Just a personal quirk.
Lots of good miles left in the Browning.
I have a Rem 870 and Win Super X1 for ducks and geese.
Just ain't the same.
I guess I need a Miroku Auto 5.

Thanks for the response.

Covey16
I can understand completely. However, as much as it hurt my ego to admit it, the Jap Auto 5s are really better than their Belgian counterparts (better steel) with the newer versions more practical for regular use (Invector choke systems and steel shot compatible). And as much as I was ready to hate and despise the Gold Hunter, it's better yet. My 12 gauge Gold Hunter can handle high velocity 7/8 ounce loads all of the way up to the heaviest 3-inchers with nary a hiccup or adjustment and it doesn't beat the crap out of me either.