New
Find
Notify
Tools

Satterlee's 30-06 Length Action
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone know the status of Satterlee's 30-06 length actions?

Does one actually exist

Are they in production?

Any idea on the lead time?

I have emailed him for info but no response yet.

Howard
Moses Lake, Washington USA
hwhomes@outlook.com

Posts: 2339 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your a braver man than me...just kidding Big Grin
Curiously, How long ago did you mail him? I ask so this thread can kick off in fair & reasonable perspective.

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just over the weekend. However I have emailed him in the past and response has been sporadic.

Howard
hwhomes@outlook.com

Posts: 2339 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Howard, you will have better success in calling him in person.

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Let me add to my original post. Does anyone have a Satterlee 30-06 length action?

Howard
hwhomes@outlook.com

One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
I have one std 06 reciever. One std short mag reciever on the shelf. both are right hand.
These are left over recievers from my June 08 to August 08 run of recievers. I have bolts for these two and some others about 80% machined.

Other than that I have 14 std recievers in boring and threading that are headed for the mill very soon. Five of which will have integral extended short tanges for tange safetys.
Thanks for your intrest.
good day!!!
Stu

Posts: 1221 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Timan: Five of which will have integral extended short tanges for tange safetys.
Thanks for your intrest.
good day!!!
Stu

That I'd like to see.
Don

Posts: 1085 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
The guy does beautiful work but outta my range for price, i think I'll stick with Dakota.
PS he must be a made man to machine an action from titanium. I've worked with it before and there are few materials that eat end mills like Ti

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post

Good morning folks,
These are standard actions.
These actions can be ordered in small or large ring configuration.
I've designed this standard action with an 8.0 inch guard screw spaceing, this makes it a versatile plaform. I can easily go from a 3.430 box to a 3.620 box, this allows nearly full integrity of the feed ramp, lower lug locking area when going out to 375 H&H. I like knowing there is more steel in that area on a 375,416 Rem,458 Lott etc.
These actions are basically .180 longer than what you guys are use to in the milsurp actions.

The action in the background of this photo is standard action 06, set up to feed 8X68.

The action in the fore ground of the photo is a standard action except it has the full length magazine for 375 H&H and has the drop box mag.

lead time?
I burn the candle at both ends and also in the middle to get these out as quickly as possible.

It's finsihed when it is truely finished, all systems work and work very well and thats that.
I'm all about Quality not Quantity.

Thank you for your intrest.
TIMAN

Posts: 1221 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What is the weight of the std 30-06 action?

Howard
hwhomes@outlook.com

One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post

Howard,
This is the extra 06 rec. I have on the shelf.
I have a bolt for it in process Still a few weeks out on that.
The total weight of one of my std 06 small ring
actions is 56 ounces.
If you would like this one I could have it completed by July 09. I'll reserve it for you.
There is other work ahead of this one. That why its more of spring,summer job. It would make a dandy 06 or 270, 280 whatever. I've even wanted to make her mine at times but in my hands these are useless, very little time to hunt you know.
Thank you for your interest.
Stuart

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interested to know what you think Howard,
Kinda heavy if one was planning a lightweight...

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Trax:
Interested to know what you think Howard,
Kinda heavy if one was planning a lightweight...

It does seem very heavy. Heavy enough that I wonder if you have your weight wrong Stuart? Its heavier then any other action I can find listed. http://www.brownprecision.com/SelectingComponents.htm

I am not wanting a lightweight but I don't want unnecessary weight either.

Howard
hwhomes@outlook.com

One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
The Brown website is interesting info, thanks.
I'm going to check my scale accuracy.
stu

One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
Scale was off.
It's 51.5 oz on the SR/STD, 06.
The are many places I can shave weight on this action.
The tange (narrower)
The bridges, (lower)
The trigger boss (just enough to hang it)
The box (thinner walls)
The guard bow (thinner, narrower)
The safety sleeve (spartan contour)

I've added length to the orignial barrel thread tennon from .630 to .750
So cut the thread tennon length back to orignal DWM spec.

Now the good stuff G33/40 the LH wall and thumbcut it.

Start replaceing steel part with titanium ones
screws, bolt shrould, etc.

Stu

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Timan:
I've designed this standard action with an 8.0 inch guard screw spaceing, this makes it a versatile plaform.
TIMAN

Why would you change that? Why not stay with the STD Mauser spacing?

Howard
hwhomes@outlook.com

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
it's longer so you can more easily get larger cartridges to fit I would guess

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
the wider screw spacings anchor the reciver better in the stock.... especially in the heavey kickers , thats a improvement , and so is the extra threads in the front reciver ring
what does an M70 wincheser action weight ...about 48 oz if im not mistaken, then you need bases which brings it up to 50-51 oz
Daniel

Posts: 1481 | Location: AUSTRALIA | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
whats not to like? a fine built action indeed.

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grizz007:
whats not to like? a fine built action indeed.

Maybe the price, depending on how much extra all those lightening cuts and Ti component options would cost.

One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
2 timmothy 1:7 is good.
May I suggest to you Trax.
The book of James 4-1 thru 17
The book of James 5-1 thru 19
Timan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Much good reading throughout the Book.

Ecclesiates 1 ...http://www.biblegateway.com/pa...stes%201;&version=9;

2 corinthians 4:18
"While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
the wider screw spacings anchor the reciver better in the stock.... especially in the heavey kickers , thats a improvement , and so is the extra threads in the front reciver ring

Please, spare me that comment.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
Here is where the 8.0 inch spacing makes sense to me. I've measured all the makes on the standard and I come up with generally 7.810-7.830. So were talking a differance of .180 .

What this does it stays close enough to the original so that it's not a big huge action
for 06 thru 300win.

The other purpose for the 8.0 spacing is when going to the 375H&H or 416 Rigby.

It leaves a lot more steel in the bottom of the feed ramp/lower lug area.

I happen to like more steel right in that area for a couple of valid reasons.

1. Strength!!!!
and
2. A feed ramp that is longer feeds better.

After your milsurp has been opened up to 375 there's really not much steel left down there and the feed ramp is considerably steeper and shorter, not the best setup.

Do you feel comfortable with your milsurp after its been opened up for 375 Weatherby, How about 300Rum, How about a 7.82 Warbird.

A modern custom action needs enough versatility to shoot more than the classics safely.

So when you start spending all your time and money building and action better make sure it can do several things well.

I learned this from the Taconic. The question always was. "can I get that in a 270"?........NOPE...
7x57 class 3.150. (NO Sale)!!!!!!!!! Awesome little 7x57 action though. AHHHH, good, but, don't care.
and that's the way that went. So the guy who's looking for that 3.150 perfect sweety, pet,pet,pet 7x57 action
it was great. Small market oh well, move on to what works.

I Also make the 8.0 inch with a large ring of 1.400

Take care all,
Timan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dear Timan:

Can't really argue with your production assessment of your action.

Sincerely,

Chris Bemis

Posts: 2594 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 30 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M 98:
what does an M70 wincheser action weight ...about 48 oz if im not mistaken, then you need bases which brings it up to 50-51 oz
Daniel

It would appear any advantage the wider screw spacing you say may offer, is somewhat negated by the reduced rear bedding surface area, due to wood removed to accomodate the longer trigger mechanism. So, that bit I dont understand, cause the M98 was already thought lacking in the rear.
What happened to the idea of producing two length actions with full feed ramps?
-one std. & one true magnum,
then one would have the weight & length most efficiently practicle&desirable for 06 length cases, and also a true magnum action with full feed ramp for best feed & strength in modern loaded DGrifles.
Im wondering, will that Saterlee 06 receiver still accept an original mauser trigger?

One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
Trax,
I bed the bottom of the tange for the full length. I bed the bottom of the trigger boss.
The lungs of the action are fully bedded. Lungs being the radius cuts just ahead of the trigger on the bottom of the receiver.
Bedding: You would be suprised how little horizontal surface area it takes to stop the vertical travel of a barreled action. If you've ever inletted anything you'll already know this.

The trick: Having the metal fully inletted helps a ton.

The 404 on my web site, 100% wood to metal, if one was to put any glass in that rifle it would never go back together. There's no room for anything but wood and metal in that inlet.

There's a night and day differance between a barreled action that is fully inletted and one that is close then pulled with the screws.
So armed with the knowledge of what makes good inletting there's plenty of surface area.

There are still two action lengths, actually 4 i've still got 2 on the board and in prototype.

My Magnum is 8.250 screw to screw.
My standard is 8.0 screw to screw. Again the differance is .180 thats .0075 short of 3/16ths of an inch. Our bodys can't detect that when the rifle is handled and shouldered. You'll feel a 14.5 inch pull first versus a 13.5 inch pull first and foremost.

How many times have you shouldered a rifle and said, "gosh that action feels long by .180"

8.0 inches screw to screw is a better length for a modern std mauser action.

Timan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
i've still got 2 on the board and in prototype.

And what might those two be? Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
8.0 inches screw to screw is a better length for a modern std mauser action.

Why is it better. It certainly does not anchor the action in the stock any better nor does the extra threads help. The forces on the action on firing will result in shear forces in the front screw rather than tension.

If I stock on of your actions, I either have to do it by the blank, which is a time waster or build a pattern for it. I have a lot of mauser patterns but of course it will not fit as you have extended the spacing by 0.15".

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote