THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Days for a background check for gun purchase/transfer

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Days for a background check for gun purchase/transfer
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone do a purchase/transfer of a firearm since COVID 19? Curious how many days it is taking for a background check. Most of the gun shops here in NV are showing a Five Day Wait for background approval on their websites. I haven’t verified with the shop manager I deal with, he hasn’t returned my email in four days but part of that time has been the weekend. From what I am reading from this , is you need to go into the shop and fill out the form, pay your fees, and within about five days they notify you your transaction is complete and you can go back to the store to pickup your firearm. Is everyone else experiencing the same purchase/transfer procedure?

Posts: 736 | Location: Western USA | Registered: 08 September 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
NO; they are just worst casing things, and the reason is that so many people are buying guns now, that MANY of them do not pass the check on the first call. And the fact that there are so many sales now that a small shop can't make all the calls at once. When that happens, the FBI has 5 days to respond with a NO; if it doesn't, the sale automatically goes through.
One local shop has it's own policy; if the NICS does not come back in 5 days, the sale is Cancelled; it probably means the guy isn't supposed to have a gun.
Personally, I only sell to Permit to Purchase a handgun; meaning the background check has already been done and no NICS call needed.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I went into my FFL dealer's place of business, observing social distancing and wearing a mask (of course) to pick up a rifle I had bought from another member of this forum. I filled out the paper work, submitter my driver's license, and the clerk punched the information into his computer. By the time he was finished with his part of the transaction, the approval came through. So much for "backward" Tennessee.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
It is not Tennessee; it is the NICS check facility in West Virginia, that does the checks.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
7 days for my latest purchase for the NICS to go through. This was in NJ. Purchase date was 6/07/20, I pick up today.

Posts: 154 | Location: Sourland Mt. , NJ | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4WD:
Anyone do a purchase/transfer of a firearm since COVID 19? Curious how many days it is taking for a background check. Most of the gun shops here in NV are showing a Five Day Wait for background approval on their websites. I haven’t verified with the shop manager I deal with, he hasn’t returned my email in four days but part of that time has been the weekend. From what I am reading from this , is you need to go into the shop and fill out the form, pay your fees, and within about five days they notify you your transaction is complete and you can go back to the store to pickup your firearm. Is everyone else experiencing the same purchase/transfer procedure?

I did one 4-6-2020 took the usual 30 seconds? tu2

Posts: 2361 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did one last month.

Went in on a Saturday. It was delayed, but approved first thing Monday.

Posts: 11030 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just did one this past Saturday. Only took a few minutes while I browsed through the shop.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I have a CHL so I am not required to have a background check. Already been checked out. Just get it + go.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have bought several guns since the C-19 thing began. I walked out with the gun in hand each time, after the BG check was cleared with no delay. At least one of these was a out of state transfer.

Of course, this is Arizona.

Posts: 874 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is never any response to my nics application. I wait 3 business days and pick up my gun. It's a pita, I just live with it. Here in the peoples republic of Washington the FBI check isn't good enough if your buying a handgun. The state runs their own check and can take up to 10 days.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
About 15 minutes here.
Stephen

Posts: 538 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: 14 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Customers that went to the trouble of applying for a UPIN to avoid being delayed now get delayed anyway. The ATF only checks the UPIN file during "further review" which they no longer do.

Mark Pursell

Posts: 545 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
First and only buy at Sportsmans Warehouse
because of the price on a S/W snubby.
I was told: "you're # 1170 on the list, take
a couple days." Week later it still hadn't
been ok'd. I showed my carry permit at the time
and they said: "That don't matter".

I know better, but, wanted the gun for the price.
No big deal this time. Still in the drawer unloaded, never fired it. Have another like it
except the damned lock on this one.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My store in New Mexico has been doing transfers thru the covid debacle. Business as usual with NICS. Immediate proceed, proceed in 15 minutes or so, delay coming off in a few hours, or delay with a maximum of three working days. Denies are almost always immediate.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My rifle arrived today at the dealer for my transfer. Was notified it is going to take 2-4 days to be approved. Kind of a hassle but it could be worse.

Actually it did get worse. Was just notified by the gun store that the state will be updating their central computers and now expect a 3-5 day delay.

Posts: 736 | Location: Western USA | Registered: 08 September 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nvmichael
posted Hide Post
Nevada is currently experiencing a very heavy volume of gun sales. I was told checks go through Carson City Highway Patrol.
I was also told I would have to wait up to 10 days. 4th day has come and gone...
Damnit I’m mad now! Wink

Posts: 1086 | Location: NV | Registered: 27 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Handguns take longer, as they check the state in which you were born and the state in which you currently live.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13667 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nvmichael
posted Hide Post
Correct.
NV usually takes a qday

Posts: 1086 | Location: NV | Registered: 27 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Avoid buying 2 or more handguns in a one week period. That will flag you as a multiple handgun purchaser + put you into another category of possible interest to ATF. Best to keep below that radar if possible.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Its funny reading this sort of stuff from US gunowners. Government checks?? background clearances?? cooling off periods? approval paperwork all to own a piece of metal which we tell the anti's is no more dangerous than any inert piece of metal. tsk tsk tsk, looks like they are training you guys to sit up and beg just like the rest of us.

Posts: 3533 | Location: various | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I went in on Saturday . Today Wednesday, I was approved. Had to wait in a line outside the gun store for two hours in 102F . Not a very good experience. Have one more transfer coming in to a different dealer on Saturday, hope it’s not more of the same. After this next one I think I am done with firearm purchases during This craziness.