New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barrel hood fit on 1911-types
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I recently traded for a Series 70 GM slide and a Series 70 NM barrel. The hood on the barrel is significantly narrower (like .075") than the corresponding notch in the slide. The accuracy is equal to or better than my other .45s, but I wonder if this lack of lateral support could lead to problems later - like maybe link breakage. I have heard of welding up these hoods and refitting them. How much heat would be generated by TIG welding a spot of steel on each side of the hood? Is it really necessary to have a close fit here.

Posts: 40 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
<G.Malmborg>
posted
Fourarmed,

The main purpose of the hood, is to seal the ejection port in the event of a case failure. If the barrels hood makes contact with the slide when in battery, then the contact must be uniform on all sides, otherwise accuracy will suffer.

You can pack the barrel and the upper lugs in Brownell's "heat control" paste while TIG welding the end and sides of the hood. You should be able to do this on fairly low heat. I use a 3% nickel steel rod, as sold through Brownells for hood work. Once the sides are all welded up, all that's left is to refit the hood, bevel the bottom of the hood and polish the hood and chamber.

Good luck,

Malm

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Malm. Do I understand you correctly that there is no need for contact here if accuracy is satisfactory-which seems to be the case?

Posts: 40 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
<G.Malmborg>
posted
That is correct as far as function goes. Safety is another matter.

Good luck,

Malm