Find
Notify
Tools

Take-down ideas
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted
A few months ago I had the bright idea of using an inner ring like a Winchester Model 12 to take up for thread wear. Whats scares me is the chamber wall thickness from using this design, and the pressures associated with rifle calibers.

I read that Barney Worthen did something very similar, but could never find factual information on how he acheived this, if he only did this with smaller calibers to obtain thicker chamber walls, etc...

What other designs could I study? The idea of a take-down has always intriqued me, and I always have to over analize everything before I make a decision. Looking at doing this in .375 H&H on a 1908 Brazilian Mauser.

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1026 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of miles58
posted Hide Post
I have a Jackson Hole Arms rifle built on a Parker-Hale action. The barrel screws in normally, then a six inch or so sleeve screws in locking the barrel in place.

It's intended more as a switch-barrel rifle than a take down. I can say the gun is much more accurate than I expected with the 30-06 barrel on it. Easily 1 MOA. I have fired the .257 Roberts barrel and it shot 2-2.5 inches with some unknown ammo I burned off. I have never fired the 22-250 barrel.

If you want pics email me and addy to send them to.

Posts: 961 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Miles

Amazing - I have the issue of G&A from June 1970 with a story on the rifle sitting on my desk right now.

I'd love to see pictures of your rifle.

Posts: 6481 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote