New
Find
Notify
Tools

Christensen Arms Titanium Action
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm considering buying a Christensen Arms Ridgeline in 6.5 CM. I can buy one in stainless steel with a carbon stock and carbon wrapped barrel. For $1000 more I can get the gun in Titanium and save 8 ounces in weight(4.8 lb vs 5.3 lb). Opinions?

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2148 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For $1000 less than the base Ridgeline, a Howa Super Lite @ 4Lbs 7 Oz comes with with a Sub MOA guarantee, but not SS or carbon wrapped.

https://www.howausa.com/howa-super-lite/

I like light rifles so much, I've been carrying Contender carbines exclusively for 15 years. Some of my favorite dollars will soon be heading off to Howa.

Posts: 50 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: 01 December 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had one (steel action in .300 PRC) and it was a piece of shit. Especially at the price point.

Posts: 1240 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You've heard of Kimber-roulette? Well, Christensen has the same gamble.
Half my buds (who own Christensen's) swear by them and half swear at them.
I looked hard at buying one but decided to build a semi-custom again.

Of course just one opinion, for free.
Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all. I forgot to mention that I' left handed. That limits me.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2148 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Christensen rifles come with sub-MOA guaranties.

I don't think titanium is worth the scratch.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13482 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Vol717,

Let's back up and let me ask you what is it that CA has/offers that appeals to you, aside from being offered in southpaw versions?

Now let me qualify my statement about them being a piece of shit.

I bought one more as a study of the .300 PRC than the rifle. At the same time my hunting partner bought one in .300 Win mag.

1.) On both rifles the floorplate would open and dump the magazine about every one out of there shots. CA did send me a new assembly and my partner is on his third assembly to address this problem. This is unacceptable for a $2K rifle.

2.) The magazine boxes themselves were made from a flimsy strip of carbon fibre the did nothing to control and direct the feeding of cartridges into the chamber. Hang-up were/are common. I'm big on proper mag box design and geometry.

3.) Neither rifle would eject a loaded round and empty cases didn't eject much more reliably and would often hit the bottom of the scopes windage turret. So much for the dual ejector arrangement.

4.) The rifle had zero bedding and the inletting was a hack job on both rifles. The stock is also not that ridged for a carbon type stock.

5.) The bolt knob. A subjective criticism on my part but the fluted bolt knob, the razor wire knobs I've come to call it, will cut to the bone. The edges of the flutes where consistently sharp on both rifles as machined. Don't try to run a CA bolt in anger...

Yes both rifles shootaround 1/2 MOA with targeteyish inspired hunting bullets. But the floorplate and ejection issues as well as consistent feeding hang-ups make CA rifles unworthy of field use in my experience.

I sold mine after I learned what I needed about the .300 PRC.

Posts: 1240 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a CA Mesa LH short action in 6.5 CM. Must have one of the unicorns. Functions perfect and shoots below MOA.

Vol, if you're looking for weight reduction, I'd suggest the FFT stock and a standard Mesa. I picked up an FFT stock during the Black Friday sale for 20% off and the stock weights 17.6 oz. I thought I'd give it a whirl to see if I couldl save some weight and it does. Haven't bed and shot it yet but I'm expecting it to be a winner...