THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pics of 1/2 oct 1/2 round barrels anyone?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Was wondering if anyone had pictures of 1/2 octagonal 1/2 round barrels they would be able to post. I'm considering this option on an upcoming Ruger #1 project but would love to see pics of any rifles using this barrel configuration.

TIA,
Stu

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stu. I have only a small photo of my Haenel at the moment. I will try to add it.

Frank

my gallery | my favorites | upload | profile | faq | forums | home

last day | last 7 days | last 14 days | all images

Hunting Pictures > Member Galleries > Frank Martinez > Haenel 3 - Frank Martinez

Haenel 3 - Frank Martinez

Add to Favorites | Post Comment | Subscribe | Edit Photo | Report

Title: Haenel 3

Poster: Frank Martinez (see all of Frank Martinez's photos)

Date: Tue Jun 1, 2004

Filesize: 171kb

Dimensions: 600 x 300

Views: 9

Keywords: Haenel 3

Description: Photos of my Mannlicher

Image Link:

Image Code: bb code | html code

Right click on the code below and select copy, then paste it into your favorite webpage or forum!

[url="http://www.hunt101.com/?p=168074&c=500&z=1"][/url]

[admin]

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bad Ass Wallace
posted Hide Post
Here is an octagonal barrel on a Ruger forend

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Frank, thanks for that. One of the things I'm looking for is the exact placement of the step between octagon and round in relation to the end of the forearm. Your pic showed that well.

BAW - was that octagon barrel a custom job or factory? Nice piece of work.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stu,
Most stockmakers want the octagon to go just past the forend. Inletting for an octagon is tough enough without the transition being in the wood. But leave it to the Germans in Frank's rifle to incorporate that in the mix.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Perhaps Mark Stratton will post some pics of half-octagon barrels. I have one on order with him and will be receiving a drawing soon for review/approval. Mark offers (at least) three different transition styles.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stu,

I am not home so cannot look for more pics, but I still had 6 pics of Marks barrels up on some webspace, one is half octagon. I really think that his must be the nicest transition that I have seen in a 1/2 & 1/2 barrel, nice smooth switch. I will try to find the other pics of the 1/2 &1/2 barrels he does when I get home.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chic,
So I guess knowing in advance how long the forearm should be would be part of designing and ordering one of these barrels?

Red, I hope you can find some more pics at home. Would be most interested in seeing them.

Glen, what will you be putting your barrel on? I saw Mark's work in Reno in Jan. First rate all the way.

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Guys,

I would lke to post some photo of my half rounds, but I don't have any. I have one barrel in the shop, but it needs to be draw filed and polished. I'm kind of like the plumber with leakly pipes. I think Dago Red has some good photos from this years Guild show in Reno.

For those of you who are interested in my book, it will go to the printer on Monday. This project is taking more time than I thought. It will be available shortly.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here are some photos of a Miller rifle that were posted awhile ago.

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

"I would lke to post some photos of my half rounds, but I don't have any."

Only someone whose e-mail name is "Octagon Barrel" would call a half-octagon barrel a "half-round"!

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark, I would very much enjoy purchasing a couple of copies. Would you be willing to let me know when it is available.

2mp, the Sauer is beautiful. So is the Griffin and Howe. Are these your rifles? Very nice indeed.

Stu, I am working on a couple of other rifles for you to see.

Thank you,

Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Frank,

If you go to my web site and leave your name and email address I will place you on the book list. I'm only doing a 100 copies and about half are already sold. www.gunmaker.net

Thanks