Find
Notify
Tools

M70 Super Grade! Look at this wood!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of OldCenterChurch
posted
I found this in a local shop and could not believe how nice it was. It is a new in box 7mm Mag. It was tagged $900 but he let me have it for $750 to move it!!!!! I didn't even ask my wife before I threw the money at the guy. He said that no one wants or appreciates nice wood anymore and that all his patrons want synthetic Remingtons and Brownings. Finally a good find when I had some extra cabbage. I'm tickled to death. Am I being silly or is this a nice looking rifle for a factory stick?

http://webpages.charter.net/cbrannons/M70%20Super%20Grade%207mm%20Mag%2010.jpg

http://webpages.charter.net/cbrannons/M70%20Super%20Grade%207mm%20Mag%2013.jpg

http://webpages.charter.net/cbrannons/M70%20Super%20Grade%207mm%20Mag%203.jpg

http://webpages.charter.net/cbrannons/M70%20Super%20Grade%207mm%20Mag%205.jpg

WAR EAGLE!!

Posts: 71 | Location: Auburn, Alabama | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very Nice!

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice indeed. However, there is a lot you can do to those Wichester super grade stocks to make them even nicer. They tend to have a bit too much wood on them in certain places thereby making them look a bit clubby.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am waiting on an M70 SG too, should be here next week. Hopefully my wood looks as nice as yours. good find.

Posts: 986 | Location: Columbia, SC | Registered: 22 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Man what find! you did good.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Sure is a fine piece of walnut you bought - I'd have done the same for that $$

One of the members here says 'life's too short to hunt with an ugly gun' - absolutely right.

Pleasure every time you take it off the rack - hard to put a value on that.
Enjoy Big Grin

Posts: 14 | Location: uk | Registered: 07 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Treat it well over the coming years and your son will also have himself a fine rifle someday.

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I think that you have more than $750 worth of wood alone. Very well done.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
At first blush, I would have suggested it was stained but Winchester would not do that on a factory rifle. You got a gem on your hands. use it well and enjoy. And you are not being silly, you have made an incredible find.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That really is a beautiful piece of wood-the7 mag doesn't interest me but i'da bought it in a minute.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 300 H-H:
That really is a beautiful piece of wood-the7 mag doesn't interest me but i'da bought it in a minute.

+1

It can be rebarreled.

Nice score!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey, if I dont like mine then it gets rebarreled to 470AR. That will keep me from having to buy that Rem ADL at Wally for $360 for my AR rebarrel. Some may not agree, but theres nothing wrong with the 7mm RM.

Posts: 986 | Location: Columbia, SC | Registered: 22 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
I would have paid $750 for that! In fact I'll give you $750 for it so you won't have to cry about that first scratch! jumping

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2095 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OCC, you did very well. There are some really nice looking SG's out there. I based my custom on a SG with wood much the same as yours and kept the factory stock but refinished it and changed out the pad.

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
A well spent $750, hopefully it shoots as good as it looks! thumb

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've only seen a few ever pass throughthe shop with wood near that nice, one a Winchester 94 and the others Weatherbys.

Steal of a deal my friend.

-Spencer

one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle but I think I'd like a standard trigger. THAT looks like a mini mag light!!! Wink

Congratulations,
Kyler

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2507 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great except for the size of the bore and chamber! Along with the bolt handle on the wrong side.
Sure looks nice!

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
what a BEAUTIFUL rifle great on you man Big Grin jjmp

Posts: 999 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've seen some excellent wood in the super grades but dang..!! That's awesome!!! Congratulations!!!

Sendero300>>>===TerryP

Posts: 489 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 25 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Very nice. But, and this is no criticism, because I think you got a great deal, IMO the Winchester factory stock finish really darkens the wood.

I have a custom shop M70 with spectacular wood, but the finish has darkened it so much that the light has to be just right before one can really appreciate it.

I am going to have it refinished at some point.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote