New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington Model 141 pump question .....
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've found a very nice Remington Model 141 .35 that I'm thinkong about buying, but I have a couple questions about this model: (1) do they normally feed without any issues ? and (2) on this particular gun, the loop where the magazine tube slides through when you pump the rifle is loose - a little play where it connects to the barrel - is this normal, or is the loop possibly getting ready to detach from the barrel, causing a probable gunsmithing fix. If anyone has one of these rifles, I'd appreciate you checking yours & letting me know ...... thanks.

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
Searcy Classics 450/.400 3" & .577
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE
Member Dallas Safari Club

Posts: 1587 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information. Eleanor is in Putnam county, about 25 miles north of Charleston on the Kanawha river.

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
Searcy Classics 450/.400 3" & .577
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE
Member Dallas Safari Club

Posts: 1587 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I remember correctly, the loop is held to the barrel by a curved dovetail. The loop has to be rotated in the dovetail cut rather than pushed straight in and out like a sight. Somebody might have not known this and pushed it out like a sight. This might have caused the loosness you describe. Look to see if the edges of the dovetail seem deformed. Maybe some light peening of the edges will tighten the loop.

Posts: 41 | Location: USA | Registered: 17 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 141 in 30 Remington. It belonged to my grandfather. He bought it in 1934. It has harvested many deer and bears.

I caution you if you ever take it apart it may take you several hours to get it back together.

There were many 141 at the last Raleigh NC gun show. I saw none in 25, or 30 caliber. There were a number in 32 and 35 caiber.

LongShot

Posts: 322 | Location: Youngsville, NC | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The predecessor to the 141 was the model 14. It was lighter. I had a model 14 in 30 rem. I lent it to a college friend to take home hunting on opening weekend of deer season. He came back Monday and said:"You are not getting that rifle back, how much do you want for it?" That little model 14 in 30 rem was very small and handled like a .22. He had killed three deer with it. I let him off easy, I think I traded him for a model 670 winchester in .243. He hadn't taken it hunting because it shot all over the place. I rebedded it and it drove nails.

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
As Longshot mentioned; do not attempt to take this rifle apart as it's 'complicated'. That said, it works. And works. And works. I happened to take a .35 version to the range the same day I took an early 760 30-06 to the range for the first time. The 141 functioned flawlessly. It ejected empties with considerable gusto. The 760 was like a limp dishrag in ejecting empties. To me, how a firearm ejects empties says a lot to how functional it is.

But are you going to mount a scope and expect 'cheek weld'? The 141 was designed in an era before scopes. The 760's is a bit better in this regard.

But as for going bang, ejecting, and feeding another round, the 141 works. Period. The machine work that went into these rifles could not be duplicated for under $1500 these days.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote