New
Find
Notify
Tools

H&H Takedown
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
How difficult is it to modify a Mauser 98 for the takedown H&H system where the bbl and action are removed as one piece? It appears to me that there is not a great difference between them and a regular Mauser other than a permanent action anchor in the rear and one screw instead of two screws to remove the bbl. action. Do they stay tight and return to zero better than a regular Mauser? Any ideas on the cost of a conversion? Thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
joel dorleac of dorleac & dorleac could answer that for you search it you wont be disappointed..paul

Posts: 294 | Location: MASSACHUSETTS | Registered: 26 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I really like the idea of an H&H style takedown rifle wherein the barreled action is removed from the stock. This sort of modification seems to me like one of the best & easiest way to travel with a rifle.

Does anyone have pictures of an H&H takedown?
I'd love to have a look at how they set it up mechanically.

There is perhaps another similar option that might fit the bill....

I was speaking to a smith several years back and he had made a few rifles for clients with his own type of 'takedown'. If I remember correctly he said that he very precisely bedded the barreled action & bottom metal to the stock with a lot of fitting, epoxy and large aluminum pillars etc. All in all it sounded like a rather staight forward system except for the fact that he had established a poundage that the bottom metal screws had to be secured at. One would need a torque screw drive when assembling the rifle but as long as the screws are set to the correct weight the rifle would return to zero......

Sounds good anyway.....thoughts?

Best Regards,
Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did a quick search
Second rifle, http://deadratranch.com/RIFLES.php

Mark

Posts: 1244 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a H&H 375 Belted Magnum takedown that will be 100yo in May. It is the older style takedown where the barrel unscrews with forearm attached.

Cheers, Chris

DRSS

Posts: 1971 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got it finally -http://forums.nitroexpress.com...=0&page=3#Post174049

Still interested in anyone's comments regarding difficulty and cost of such a conversion.