Find
Notify
Tools

Buttplate installAtion mistake and fix
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted
This is for the novices like me. I hope this helps someone if they make a similar mistake.

I inletted and installed a Biesen buttplate on my Mannlicher stock today. As careful as I was, I managed to get the holes drilled little off. They were centered, but I angled the top hole to one side to much and the bottom hole didn't angle down enough.

So I thought about plugging the holes with dowels and redrilling. Then I took a different route. I over drilled the holes with a spade bit, not a lot, but enough. Then I coated the screws and buttplate with release agent used for bedding.

Then I poured epoxy into the holes, placed the buttplate on the stock, and the put the screws through the holes into the epoxy - aligning them at the same time.

Problem solved and no one will ever know. And the screws and buttplate are on stress free, just like a bedding job.

I've never had to worry above this with grind to fit recoil pads because you always have a hair of margin to play with. Not with a metal buttplate!

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a drill guide bushing made to fit the buttplate with a hole the proper size for the drill bit

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I often use this method on grip caps as a preferred method. I also attach most recoil pads to 2 piece stocks with an epoxy method. I drill an oversized hole at each screw, insert a socket head machine screw through each pad hole, wax the screw and the threads of a threaded brass insert and screw the insert snug but not tight on the screws. I place a piece of plastic sheet betwee the pad and buttstock. I then fill the holes with thickened bedding compound, push the pad on and fix in place with tape. When dry, you have two brass inserts in the stock, and a set of machine screws you can remove and install with an allen wrench. This lets you tighten them securely, but remove and install repeatedly without damaging the pad or wearing out the wood threads. It is really handy, as it lets you remove the stock quickly to clean the action parts on double shotguns and single shot rifles.

Posts: 1238 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Art S.:
I often use this method on grip caps as a preferred method. I also attach most recoil pads to 2 piece stocks with an epoxy method. I drill an oversized hole at each screw, insert a socket head machine screw through each pad hole, wax the screw and the threads of a threaded brass insert and screw the insert snug but not tight on the screws. I place a piece of plastic sheet betwee the pad and buttstock. I then fill the holes with thickened bedding compound, push the pad on and fix in place with tape. When dry, you have two brass inserts in the stock, and a set of machine screws you can remove and install with an allen wrench. This lets you tighten them securely, but remove and install repeatedly without damaging the pad or wearing out the wood threads. It is really handy, as it lets you remove the stock quickly to clean the action parts on double shotguns and single shot rifles.

Yep - I thought about doing that last night after I went the epoxy route. I agree, machine screws are the best solution. I just need to get a good jig for my drill press to match up the holes perfectly.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote