New
Find
Notify
Tools

Enfield screw spacing
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
With the guards some of you sent me, I came up with a center to center guard screw measurement of 7.938" Scrollcutter had actions and he came up with 7.996...I suspect his is closer than mine...and I suspect the actual center to center is probably an even 8"......anyone have the "official" distance?

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duane.....8" centre to centre....all the staightened guards I have acquired or made are at this spacing. It's very important to maintain the sloped geometry on the trigger bow from the back of the mag openning to the rear of the bow. If not done the bow sets to high in the stock and the resultant is a thin wrist. Ron

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got it...thank you...yes, we are maintaining the "angle"

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duane...I'm going to qualify my answer.

I did check Frank de Haas Bolt Action Rifle book...clearly states "mounting hole spacing 8 in " . However, I believe what he means is the mounting hole spacing measured on the underside of the action. I just rechecked this on a P14 and a P17 and it's 8" nominal.

Now for the guard....My Model 30 as well as an original measure 7.875" centre to centre. The geometry is critical.... the front screw is a perpendicular to both the guard and action...using this for a datum and measuring towards the rear yields the 7.875" dimension. Remember the rear bow is sloped and the screw is perpendicular and going into the action at an angle. I'll see if I've got that info around.....it's evident if if you have an action, magazine, spacer and bottom metal assembled. Some good pic's in de Haas book.

On the Wisner metal and if Jim is on the form, he can confirm this....his spacing was 7.975" on the enfield metal. He repositioned the rear hole and drilled it so the rear screw went staight into the action. Bear in mind his metal was for custom stock applications....not retrofits or semi inlets that are out there. (My observation of the info I have at hand. Jim should confirm what I'm stating)

Rear hole must be drilled perpendicular at the correct spacing (7.875" or the guard won't fit up to the action.

Hope this clarifies the situation...if you need a sketch let me know.

Ron

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You bet...thanks....I promised production guys that there wouold be no further chages...what the hell!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually with the angled rear hole the spacing will vary with the mag box being used. Triggers are made in different lengths also to compinsate for the standard or thinned mag box. Timney specs out 5 or 6 rounds I think. I think it would be best to use and acual receiver and mag box to get the proper dimensions from. If you need any I have a few extras laying around I could send you to reference along with both sizes on triggers. That's one of the reasons I recomend you making (or hiring) the mag boxes to make sure it's a matched system being used.
-Don

Posts: 1084 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The rear guard screw hole is at an angle. So the depth of the bow vs the depth of the box must be figured out.

Duane, I have been down with the crud and am trying very hard not to get another double ear infection, like I had this spring. Sorry that I did not go up north last week end. I just may as well box up that book we were talking about and mail it to you.

I also have about 10 unaltered ERA P14 actions on hand, for inspection.

James Wisner
Custom Metalsmith

Posts: 1465 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The rear guard screw screws into the action at approx. 6 degrees. Most if not all of the rear surfaces are at approx. 6 degrees from square. That is probably due to the draft in the forging dies.

Posts: 219 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: 03 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duane,
I have a Winchester P17 that I would gladly send you is unaltered for a future project and I would not need it right back if this helps pm me and I will send it your way.

Michael J

Posts: 485 | Location: Lakewood Colorado | Registered: 17 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forgot to mention it is complete with unltered botton metal as well.

Michael J

Posts: 485 | Location: Lakewood Colorado | Registered: 17 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J Wisner:
The rear guard screw hole is at an angle. So the depth of the bow vs the depth of the box must be figured out.

Duane, I have been down with the crud and am trying very hard not to get another double ear infection, like I had this spring. Sorry that I did not go up north last week end. I just may as well box up that book we were talking about and mail it to you.

I also have about 10 unaltered ERA P14 actions on hand, for inspection. Thanks, Jim...seems to be an inexact science? Get better!

James Wisner
Custom Metalsmith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by michaelj:
Forgot to mention it is complete with unltered botton metal as well.
Appreciate the offer...I think all's covered...Duane

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J Wisner:

I also have about 10 unaltered ERA P14 actions on hand, for inspection. Thanks, Jim...I'll let you know....get better!

James Wisner
Custom Metalsmith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim Wisner...don't know why my response went into cyberspace...get well..Duane