New
Find
Notify
Tools

VZ24 drilled and tapped into chamber
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I bought sporterized Mauser 30-06 today.

When I got home, I cleaned and dis assembled and noticed that when I removed the forward #47 Weaver scope mount and looked down in the drilled and tapped forward most hole, I could see another screw head.

Now what to do?
1) I could take the barrel off and cut new threads and ream it to a .308.
2) I could try to fix the hole into the chamber.

Has anyone ever fixed a 6-48 hole into the chamber?

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Clark, not to worry, that thread you see is the barrel thread as it is screwed into the reciever. Unless someone got really wild at the drill press you should be ok. Good luck.
Jon In Tucson.

Posts: 49 | Location: Tucson , AZ | Registered: 06 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
You saw ANOTHER screw HEAD?? [Eek!] There is certainly the chance that the hole was drilled through the barrel into the chamber. To be safe take the gun to a gunsmith right away & have it checked out.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I feel emabrassedFrowner
It looks like threads now.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Don't be, we're all here to help each other.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
<G.Malmborg>
posted
Clark,

To answer your question, had the screw hole extended through to the chamber, the ONLY fix is to cut off that portion of the barrel and start again. Glad it didn't come to that.

While on the same subject, I had a locally well known gun "tinkerer/butcher" come in with a Mauser with a broken tap in the forward screw hole for me to remove. In the coarse of examining it, I noticed metal shavings in the chamber. A closer look revealed a hole clean through the chamber which ironically made removing the broken tap that much easier.

He showed up a few days later with his arms cradling several Mausers which he had drilled in a similar fashion. These guns were destined for the gunshow circuit.

I am continually amazed at how many people there are like this out and about in possession of power equipment, Brownells catalogs and who are absolutely clueless... Me and my creditors owe them a big thanks!

Malm

one of us
Picture of sonofagun
posted Hide Post
HEY, DEWEY! SEE THAT? I TOLD YOU!

DEWEY [Roll Eyes] CHEETUM [Eek!] & HOWE [Confused]
CUSTOM GUNSMITHS

Posts: 1946 | Location: Michigun | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote