New
Find
Notify
Tools

magnets to mount a red dot sight.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Would it be possible to mount a 1.5 ounce red dot on a double rifle with rare earth magnets so that the rifle wold not have to be modified. I was using one of the little magnets the other day and I was surprised at how tightly they hold. if they could be machined to match the rib on a rifle and bump up to the rear sight sight so they would not slide forward under recoil it looks like they would hold one of the very small very light red dots.

I do not know if the magnetism would raise hell with the electronics in the sight?

Any thoughts on this.

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

Posts: 1229 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nothing I would want to trust my life too.

Posts: 19432 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
No magnet is strong enough to hold against recoil.

I have these magnets, in several shapes and sizes.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67410 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
if I remember correctly weaver made a shotgun bead/front sight thing at one time that attached to the rib with magnets. didn't even stay put with trap loads.

Posts: 978 | Location: Shenandoah Valley VA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
sounds like a no go Confused
the new rare earth magnets are very powerful.
It sure wold be nice if there was some way to mount a red dot to a a 1930's paradox with out ruining it by drill and tap.

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

Posts: 1229 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
It would work.....for one shot

Then you better have a string tied to the red dot so it would be retrievable

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Could you use the magnet in conjunction with some epoxy resin? We have one called Araldite that is now rated to 80 degrees Celcius, which should be OK if you don't leave it in a really hot car. JBWeld would be even more secure but getting it off in event you change your mind might melt the solder in your rifle.

Posts: 5011 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
I have always used Araldite (two tube epoxy glue) when fixing bases to rifles but always in conjunction with screws, each fixing supporting the other to make an unbreakable bond. As many have discovered to their detriment screws alone can let go and glue alone likewise.

The advantage with Araldite is that it can be softened with a pencil flame on the base or application of heat from a decent soldering iron and then screws undone and glue bond broken. The softened glue can be wiped away, usually without affecting blued surfaces.

I wouldn't trust one or other fixing on its own.

Some magnets are very strong with a straight pull but generally a shearing action will move them, that's how you usually get them lifted off a surface i.e. slipping them off the surface they are grabbed onto.

Even as the OP is suggesting, bumping up to the rear site, a sideways bump to a red dot sight will likely slide it on the magnet or the magnet on the gun rib.

Posts: 3879 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If your double rifle has express sights like this:

http://i166.photobucket.com/al..._photos/DSC00039.jpg

you could remove the dovetail insert and fashion a Picatinny dovetail scope base. Then mount the red dot to that.

quote:
Originally posted by els:
Would it be possible to mount a 1.5 ounce red dot on a double rifle with rare earth magnets so that the rifle wold not have to be modified. I was using one of the little magnets the other day and I was surprised at how tightly they hold. if they could be machined to match the rib on a rifle and bump up to the rear sight sight so they would not slide forward under recoil it looks like they would hold one of the very small very light red dots.

I do not know if the magnetism would raise hell with the electronics in the sight?

Any thoughts on this.

Posts: 3710 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by els:
Would it be possible to mount a 1.5 ounce red dot on a double rifle with rare earth magnets so that the rifle wold not have to be modified. if they could be machined to match the rib on a rifle

Therein lies the problem. Any "rare earth magnets" I am aware of are difficult, if not impossible to "machine". Maybe it could be done with some sort of grinder.

Perhaps they could be inset into some sort of fixture that was machined to your criteria above.

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote