Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Ruger No.1
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Glen,

You anneal, engrave and reheat treat. You can have had gold, such as gold wire and inlays and the hear treat process doesn't bother it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

"Send it out to Blanchard Metal Processing in Salt Lake City for both annealing and reheat treating. Sometimes customers like to have a Number One engraved, my engraver won't tounch one that hasn't been annealed."

Mark, is the sequence anneal, engrave, reharden; or anneal, reharden to lower Rockwell number, and engrave?

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
2 other possibilities: 500 X 460 Weatherby (i.e., 510 Wells Express), or 510 Nitro (just the 50-140 Sharps loaded to high pressure). The Weatherby variation would probably require minimum action mods since it has the smallest rim. Next would be the 50-140 Sharps as it is slightly smaller than the Nitro. I owned a 460 No. 1 for a while and I don't think safety is an issue, but if it bothers you go with the Sharps as it has the smallest base diameter.

Posts: 57 | Location: Hudson Valley, NY | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote