Find
Notify
Tools

Remington 700 FTF - Rifle Basix trigger
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of SShooterZ
posted
I'm hoping I can get some insight from you guys since you've always been dead on in the past.

I've got a Remington 700 that I bought used. Never test fired it before installing a Rifle Basix L-1 trigger.

Install went pretty straight forward so I took it to the range today to try it out. 3 seperate attempts and I couldn't get some much as a mark on the primer.

Obviously a firing pin issue but I don't know if it could be related to the trigger install or is there something I should check with the bolt?

Any help, advice or suggestions would be appreciated, as always.

Thanks guys! thumb

*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#
I'll never be able to give back to this forum all that I've learned from it. But I do want to thank those of you that have helped me out over the years.

Posts: 167 | Location: McHenry, IL | Registered: 16 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SShooterZ:
I'm hoping I can get some insight from you guys since you've always been dead on in the past.

I've got a Remington 700 that I bought used. Never test fired it before installing a Rifle Basix L-1 trigger.

Install went pretty straight forward so I took it to the range today to try it out. 3 seperate attempts and I couldn't get some much as a mark on the primer.

Obviously a firing pin issue but I don't know if it could be related to the trigger install or is there something I should check with the bolt?

Any help, advice or suggestions would be appreciated, as always.

Thanks guys! thumb

Well, lets determine first if there is a firing pin. Big Grin Pull the bolt and turn the bolt shroud counter clockwise until the cocking piece drops into the big notch. Have a look at the bolt face and see if the firing pin is sticking through. If so, try to measure how much. It should be protruding somewhere between .055 - .065 of an inch. If not, the bolt may not be assembled completely. The shroud may need to go in one more time.

To check to see if the trigger is the problem, dry fire the gun and note how much of the cocking piece is protruding from the back of the shroud. Write it down. Next, remove the trigger, re-insert the bolt, lower the handle and re-measure. The cocking piece protrusion should be same. Let us know the results.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SShooterZ
posted Hide Post
Westpac your advice is right on target.

When I took the bolt out and "fired" it, there was definitely a firing pin protrusion and the cocking piece was much farther in then when I fired it in the gun.

Now I gotta figure out how this is related to the trigger. Confused

I'll never be able to give back to this forum all that I've learned from it. But I do want to thank those of you that have helped me out over the years.

Posts: 167 | Location: McHenry, IL | Registered: 16 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
If it's a trigger related problem then it is possibly the over travel screw set too tight not allowing the safety cam (sear) to drop completely clear of the cocking piece. Back the over travel screw off a turn or two and check it again.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
When I was younger I though long screws were good. Not always! Big Grin Glad you found the problem.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If there's a place for classic threads, this one should be archived in it.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SShooterZ
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tin can:
If there's a place for classic threads, this one should be archived in it.

What's so classic about it tin can? hammering