Find
Notify
Tools

Inherently accurate action ???
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
addresses the question of receiver symmetry and the 'balance' of vibratory forces acting on the receiver and receiver/barrel interface when the rifle is fired.

What is said above is echoed here as well ....

http://www.mcmillanusa.com/mcm...s-actions-g30crf.php

"Decades of experience in the benchrest circuit have shown that absolute concentricity of the bolt and the action body around the axis defined by the bore line of the barrel is paramount to precision shooting."

The G30 action deserves some attention.

Warrior

Posts: 2273 | Location: South of the Zambezi | Registered: 31 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
In terms of stiffness the M690/M590 series were even better as they have a small ejection port, rather than the top cutaway of your 695.

Bedding is very possible, I suggest you take a look at this guy's work: http://www.thestalkingdirector...-Rifle-Bedding/page4

Redmist posts here as Andy Mass I think.

Those older Tikka are the absolute dog's bollocks as far as I'm concerned.

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ghubert:

Learned a new term today. Big Grin

I had to look it up to be sure of what it meant. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B...2Dog.27s_bollocks.22 Big Grin Big Grin

I read your link, and like this part best:
Quote:
"Amir, stop playing around with your Tikka, or even thinking about playing around with it. If you persist I will have to confiscate it from you!

If it shoots well leave the bl##dy thing alone."

Best advice of the week. Smiler

KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
If you liked that you'll love this:

http://www.milkinfirst.com/dic...ry/profanisaurus.htm

you may find British humour a little more comprehensible after you've worked your way through that lot.

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If we discount the actions for BR and serious long range target stuff (RPA, Barnard, Geske, etc.), it really doesn't matter much. It doesn't take much to make a perfectly good hunting rifle which will produce excellent hunting accuracy. It matters not whether the receiver is round or flat, long or short, blue or stainless, old or new. I recently tested newly built rifles based on Remington, Winchester, MRC, and Savage, actions. All shot under moa. At the same time, I sighted in my old mauser-actioned 35 Whelen. It shot under moa too.
When accusacy is under discussion, BR and other precision rifles have to be considered. Hunting accuracy, as required, just doesn't mean that much. I have a #4 Lee Enfield with which I can produce 5 shot groups right around the inch mark at 100 yards, on demand. A Lee Enfield ain't precision, folks, but it's plainly good enough to produce pretty good accuracy for hunting.
For the last thirty-some years, I have been telling people, If you want a rugged reliable hunting rifle action, you want a Mauser. If you want a classy hunting/target rifle, you want a Model 70. If you want an accurate varmint or target rifle, you want a Remington 700.
Nowdays, I freely admit, if you want a serious BR or long range target rifle, you use one of the many custom action available today. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3570 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are talking about huntingrifles, it doesnt matter mutch if you can produce 1 or 1½ inch grups from a bench. What matters is consistent and reliable POI. And her the Tikka is also way ahead of the "Hardly Ableson" rifle

A werry ridgid action is generaly mutch more resistent for varying tention of the screws and changing humidity in the wood, or diferent presure on the stock when aiming and shooting.
Some more wobely actions like Mausers, Remmingtons and like, can bend diferently from different torque of the actionscrews. This tention also varyes when humidity and temp changes. Causing sometime werry different Poi.

one of us
posted Hide Post
In a word; Bulls--t!
I mean, the statement is substantially true enough (rigidity IS a good thing) but Tikka actions are affected by poor bedding and varied screw tension just like Remingtons, Winchesters, and Mausers. The only time I've adjusted the scope on the aformentioned 35 Whelen is when I've changed loads or swapped scopes and I built that rifle 25 years ago. So POI doesn't shift too much even though it is not a Tikka.
By the way, I built a hunter class BR rifle on a Tikka action in the mid-80's and it worked pretty good. Not as good as a Remington, mind you, but pretty good. Regards, Bill

Posts: 3570 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WTF is a "Hardly Ableson" rifle, I have owned almost every modern sporting rifle made, even rare ones like ZGs, 21/22s, Sako Finnwolf and on and on, but, this is a new one to me.

For a HUNTING rifle in big game country, there is nothing that works better than a good Mauser or one of it's better derivatives, as in P-64 Mod. 70, Brnos, Dakota 76, FNs and so forth. When your .375H&H, .338WM and 9.3 x 62 rifles will consistently hover around a moa with Nosler Partitions and 2.5x-6x scopes and hold their "zero" for years in really wet country like coastal BC, you do not need a Tikka, especially that pos T3.

Anyone, who cannot learn to correctly adjust his action screws and tighten his mounting screws should take up "tiddleywinks" and leave rifles to practical hunters who live and hunt where serious big game is commonplace.

Posts: 2366 | Location: "Land OF Shining Mountains"- British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 20 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dewey:
WTF is a "Hardly Ableson" rifle, I have owned almost every modern sporting rifle made, even rare ones like ZGs, 21/22s, Sako Finnwolf and on and on, but, this is a new one to me.
A "Hardly Ableson" rifle, is a rifle build in sutch a quality, that no matter what you do to it, or change on it, it will be improoved. Almost like the motorcycle with the "same" name
For a HUNTING rifle in big game country, there is nothing that works better than a good Mauser or one of it's better derivatives, as in P-64 Mod. 70, Brnos, Dakota 76, FNs and so forth. When your .375H&H, .338WM and 9.3 x 62 rifles will consistently hover around a moa with Nosler Partitions and 2.5x-6x scopes and hold their "zero" for years in really wet country like coastal BC, you do not need a Tikka, especially that pos T3.

Anyone, who cannot learn to correctly adjust his action screws and tighten his mounting screws should take up "tiddleywinks" and leave rifles to practical hunters who live and hunt where serious big game is commonplace.
Consistent accuracy and POI, obviously doesnt matter mutch to you, or maybe you are that good a hunter, hunting that big game, at that short distances, that you don't need it. One day when you feel confident, try to fire multiple shots at the same target, where you change the tention of the actionscrews between each shot. This can be compared to the ongoing changes in humidity or temperature of the stock.

Remember that a scope is mounted on the front and rear of the action. while the middle of the reciever is pretty wobely on manny actions. Tightening the main screws on an action, installed in a not perfectly bedded stock, tends to bend that type of recievers, causing the barrel to change direction, while the scope doesnt, because the bending apears between the bases.
A tikka action with all it's shortcuts, still is that ridgid, that you wouldn't be able to bend it.

And once again, it is posible to "repair" a lot of actions, so the works decently, but why not bye something properly designed and produced.

One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kabluewy:
quote:
Originally posted by Ghubert:

Learned a new term today. Big Grin

I had to look it up to be sure of what it meant. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B...2Dog.27s_bollocks.22 Big Grin Big Grin

I read your link, and like this part best:
Quote:
"Amir, stop playing around with your Tikka, or even thinking about playing around with it. If you persist I will have to confiscate it from you!

If it shoots well leave the bl##dy thing alone."

Best advice of the week. Smiler

KB

It most certainly is the best advice where a rifle that shoots well is concerned.

If however you still want to fiddle with it, these guys do an excellent trigger http://www.jacksonrifles.com/f...G-Uni-data-sheet.pdf

And these guys do tactical bits like bolt knobs and mags: http://www.roedaleprecision.com/epages/index_rm.htm

I don't know if Pete is making anything for stock at the moment, but he may just have a few bits kicking around.

Good luck leaving your rifle alone. Wink

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
quote:
One day when you feel confident, try to fire multiple shots at the same target, where you change the tention of the actionscrews between each shot. This can be compared to the ongoing changes in humidity or temperature of the stock.

Why would you take a rifle that shoots 1 moa's or better and crank on the action screws. That would be like letting the air out of your car tires and wonder where the gas milage went... If it works, leave it alone! You dont take something and f#(} it up just because you can.

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by srtrax:
quote:
One day when you feel confident, try to fire multiple shots at the same target, where you change the tention of the actionscrews between each shot. This can be compared to the ongoing changes in humidity or temperature of the stock.

Why would you take a rifle that shoots 1 moa's or better and crank on the action screws. That would be like letting the air out of your car tires and wonder where the gas milage went... If it works, leave it alone! You dont take something and f#(} it up just because you can.

It is a way to se how a rifle reacts under normal using conditions. Tightening and loosening the screws imitates what hapens if your woodend stock changes humidity, or the efect of large temperature changes. Sometime in the real world the screws loosen when fiering the rifle. That is the real life, not only a 3 rd group from a bench under optimal conditions.
A lot of people states that their rifle has another poi, after hunting for longer periods in extreme dry or wet conditions. Mutch of that is related to "not ridgid enough" recievers.
But on the other hand, this aproach might be to sientific, defining a theory, then perform thorough tests, eliminating as manny other factors as possible.
Often though it is mutch more exciting to just fumble around Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I have been carrying big game rifles in BC, Alberta, the Yukon and the NWT for over 46 years, this includes using these rifles as defence tools while working in Grizzly country every day for periods of several months without a break.

Frankly, I doubt that you, as a citizen of one of the over-crowded, totally "civilized" European states, most of which are devoid of animals bigger than maybe a "Stoat", have the field experience to judge which actions work best in big game hunting conditions.

The worst rifles I have ever seen in terms of reliability in BC hunting were the Schultz and Larsen overpriced imitations of the "California" school of rifle building and the best have been Mausers and P-64 Mod. 70s.

Bill Leeper, was right, your comments are just bullshit and have dickall to do with real world hunting rifles. My elderly Oberndorf Type B in 9.3x62, has not changed POI since I got and sighted it in May 2006 and I have other rifles with similar stability.

Maybe, you should think about building motorcycles or perhaps windmills as it seems you enjoy "tilting" at them............

Posts: 2366 | Location: "Land OF Shining Mountains"- British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 20 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love you Dewey!
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Dewey
You seemes a little jumpy today Wink
I fully agre on your statement that most recievers is capable of delivering the accuracy you need for hitting 5sqft of grizzly at a range of max 15 yd.
Please bear with us poor people hunting in countryes where we only have small game to hunt, Please also bear with us poor hunters without the capability to sneak closer to those small animals, so we are forced to shoot at targets of less than 3"x5" at hazardus distances byond 100yd.
Not manny of us amateurs has your unlimited courage and huntingcapabilities. So sometime we have nothing else to doo than create funny theories about rifles, and test those funny theories.Often to understand why we missed one of the small animals that we hunted.
One day one of us amateurs might start a theory that the earth isn't flat, and the moon isn't made of green cheese. So please help the human race, by keep on telling people, not to step to close to the edge of the flat earth Smiler
BtW. might the reason that your 9,3x62 haven't changed POI since 2006 be that you forgot it in the shootingbench? Cool