New
Find
Notify
Tools

scope base for Win 69 22RF
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have an old Mod 69 that was made before the integral scope rib. It presently has a side mount with an old Weaver 330 (3/4") scope that looks like it's' full of maple syrup, and I'd like to put a 1" scope on it. I've got several old steel K-4's, and a really neat Stith, all much better.

I can't find a 1" base for it. Any ideas? The action is simply a tube, 1" in Dia. I can D&T.

Thanks for any help.

jmbn
Old and in the way

Posts: 280 | Location: Lakeview OR | Registered: 02 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would think that two Weaver bases that are the same number would work since the action is the same diameter at the front receiver ring as the rear one. When drilling and tapping for the bases make sure the bolt handle does not hit the rear base or ring. You have room to move it forward or backward some.
Hip

Posts: 1881 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Answered my own question! Weaver 48017. Found 2 of them in a box in the back of my shop- I have a faint recollection of going thru this about 20 years ago!

Good call on the bolt handle, Hip. Just checked and it looks like it will barely clear. Thanks

jmbn
Old and in the way

Posts: 280 | Location: Lakeview OR | Registered: 02 October 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have lost track of how many of those I have plugged the old scope mount holes, use a soft screw and peined the top over and then polished flat to match the receiver contour.

Then set up and machine the tip off grooves on the top of the reciever.
The Kimber/Warne dovetail dims are SO close to the dims that Winchester used to cut those dovetails.

On my 69A rifles I use older high Kimber style rings I used to make, only have to bevel one bototm edge of the rear ring as it sits at the bolt handle slot and will drag on the bolt handle root.

JW
Life Member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 1473 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
An homely solution that doesn't require more holes. Weaver made a QD side mount that uses the same hole spacing as their old N mount. I have used these to put 1" scopes on rifles that had been drilled for the N mounts. These are quite sturdy and can usually be found for very little $$. If nothing else it would give you a quick check of height vs. bolt handle clearance. My experience is that very few 'smiths' got the N mounts centered over the bore.
C.G.B.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help; I drilled and tapped and looks/works fine using regular Burris rings.

jmbn
Old and in the way