Find
Notify
Tools

Removing Cross Pin
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted
I have a Whitworth that has the cross pin. Both end caps are smooth. Can someone tell me how to remove them so I can refinish the stock?

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
they are fake pins. THey are not the ends of a cross bolt, but rather just for looks. I suggest getting them out and then putting a real cross bolt in there. I popped them out before, but it was so many years ago I don't remeber how I did it. I think they have some glue holding them, so I would try a little bit of heat right on the center of the pin and seeing if you can pop them out.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
they are fake pins

That would explain the crack. LOL I thought the bolt was under the glass. Yep time for a real one as I refinish.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
they are fake pins

Marc You are 100% correct. Learned several things today. After you said they were fake I took a magnet and it was attracked to the bedding. So I first thought there was a pin under the glass. Until the magnet was attracked to the bedding around the barrel lug as well. So chipped out the bedding. Had to chip out all the bedding from the inside. The pins had to shoulders on them. After all the bedding removed then a couple taps with a plastic mallet and out they came.
Yep steel bed will attrack a magnet. homer

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
posted Hide Post
glad you were able to get them out. IT will be much stronger with a real cross bolt and good bedding

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote