New
Find
Notify
Tools

Model Seven stock, Oops!
 Login/Join

<RENRAF>
posted
So, I picked up this really sweet Model Seven in 7-08. It's light and short and as it sat was a pretty nice little gun to carry. Of course I wasn't satisfied with the factory "bedding" job on the plastic stock,thus I set out to pillar and glass bed the action. I happily started cutting and grinding, made two lovely pillars and set about to Acraglass them into place. This is when I re-read the Acgraglass instructions. Pretty much says that it "may not" stick to the factory Rem. stock. Anybody out there been a bone-head like me, or maybe you "know this guy" who did likewise? Suggestions, comments, recommendations for a replacement if necessary?

Also, is the model 7 stock unique only in design or will a 700 BDL S/A stock fit?

Thanks,
Mark

[ 02-17-2003, 20:16: Message edited by: RENRAF ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark

A 700 stock won't fit because the model 7 action is shorter than the 700 short action.

Take your stock to an automotive paint supplier and tell them you need some plastic bumper repair material that will stick to the stock. They should have something that will work, it won't be real cheap and you may also need to buy an adhesion promoter, but it should do the job. They may need to test to see the type of plastic by cutting a small sliver from the inside of the stock.

[ 02-17-2003, 20:42: Message edited by: GonHuntin ]

Posts: 1499 | Location: NE Okla | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Big Stick>
posted
You can bed,but need to change the methodology because the compound won't actually "stick" to the stock.

A Dremel tool,drill or even a sharp chisel will work fine. You want to undercut and make recesses for the bedding compound to flow into. That will mechanically lock the bedding compound within the stock,even though it isn't actually adhereing.

You just want to put in as many angles as possible,that will cause the bedding compound to be locked within the stock's confines.

For an aftermarket stock,my preference is McMillan and that is the route I've went on all my Model Sevens. They are lighter,more rigid and softer shooting...................

one of us
posted Hide Post
Big Stick is right. Just undercut it with a dremmel or chisel and you will be fine. If you need another stock, e-mail me, I think I have an extra synthetic for the Model 7 that I can let go of very reasonably.

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
<RENRAF>
posted
Thanks for all the responses, it looks like I was on the right track, I will see what it looks like when I pull it out tonight. I will keep the offer for the synthetic stock in mind, my kids will be using this rifle in a year or two and I want to make a stock to fit for them. If this stock is too big an expense or pain in the butt, I will probably go the McMillan route.

Thanks,
Mark