New
Find
Notify
Tools

removing material from a fiberglass stock
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am rebarreling my 700VS and the new barrel is much larger than i thought. How much material can be removed from the barrel channel before i start to have problems? what is the best way to remove material? This was the one part of the project that i was going to do myself. Would i be smarter to put this up on ebay and buy a new stock?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Depending on the amount you have to remove it can be done with sand paper wrapped around wooden dowels, scrapers, or a milling machine or router if you need to remove allot.

You should seal the material after you do any of this though. Thinned Acra-Glass brushed on, or a similar product, works well.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks for the help! How much work is this going to be? whould you recomend for the 1st timer?

one of us
Picture of Neverflinch
posted Hide Post
I would strongly recommend a using a mask or some sort as fiberglass material can be very irritating to the eyes and lungs. Especially if using a dremmel(sp?) tool.

"In case of a thunderstorm stand in the middle of the fairway and hold up a 1 iron, not even God can hit a 1 iron"............Lee Trevino.

Posts: 434 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: 13 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by highpower223:
thanks for the help! How much work is this going to be? whould you recomend for the 1st timer?

I have no idea how much work it will be, nor how difficult you will find it, because I haven’t seen your stock and I have no way of knowing how handy you are with tools.

If worse comes to worse you can just hog out a bunch of the channel, wrap a few layers of tape around your barrel and bed it into the channel with epoxy. The tape will give you the clearance you need.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It will help to buy some longer 1/4 x28 screws at your local hard ware store.You chop the heads off and screw them into your action .Then put a layer of masking tape on the barrel -one piece will do. Next get some cheap lip stick that will contrast with the wood and coat the barrel. Then lower the barreled action gently into the stock supported in a padded vise and look for the colour marks. The obovious part is to be sure that the barrel will actually fit the stock before attempting this. Check your local library for older books on gunsmithing and the internet. Give yourself a bit more clearance under the barrel the sides at the front of the stock. Seal the barrel channel after you are finished .Two dowels about 1 3/4" long can be screwed together in a figure8 with sand paper wrapped around one part. Use two wood screws.Go slow and use scrapers if you can find or make them .Have fun.
Glenn

Posts: 200 | Location: Calgary- Alberta- Canada | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
I'd make sure you have enough width to accomadate the barrel before you get started. I've only done this with McMillans and I used the same tools I use for wood.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used a dremel and removed as much as i could without haveing the barreled action. I took my time and I think its turning out really nice. I was going to use marine-tex (beause i already have some) to fill in the forend. Will it stick to the fiberglass or do i need to rough it up somehow?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Highpower, you are going to or may reach a depth where you end up going through your fiberglass layer and into foam on your forearm. You might want to consult with Remington to get some idea what the skin depth is before you start.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote