THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Will 284 win fit in the Kimber 84M action?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A fellow told me that the Standard 2.8" 284 Win and 2.8" 284 wildcats will work in the Kimber 84M action. Is this true? Thanks
Matt

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3291 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Couldn't tell you but my 84M in 7-08 loads out at 2.8

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ColoradoMatt:
A fellow told me that the Standard 2.8" 284 Win and 2.8" 284 wildcats will work in the Kimber 84M action. Is this true? Thanks
Matt

Might work but bullet selection would be limited. 284 is best in a 3.1" length action, built a .284 on Rem SA ended up selling it with a 7-08 Barrel.

kk alaska

One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
I would imagine that it would feed about as, not-very-well as every other gun the 284 has ever been built into.

EXCEPT, for the guy who's going to tell me that his has never miss-fed once in the last 10,000 rounds. I know you're reading this! And I know yours feeds fine. No one elses ever fed. But yours did. Or does. But I'm not talking about yours. I'm talking about all the other ones.

Gotta remember your eight P's to cover your ass when you make statements like that. Proper Pre Planning Positively Prevents Piss Poor Performance !

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
EXCEPT, for the guy who's going to tell me that his has never miss-fed once in the last 10,000 rounds.

I had one years ago never a miss feed in several 100 rds. Then again it was a single shot. rotflmo Had a second one I gave up and sold it.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
About ten years ago I built myself a .25-284 on a Montana 1999 left-hand action, using a mag box from them designed for WSM cartridges. It's never had an issue feeding and the CRF system works perfectly; but then again, I've never tried it in Canada, perhaps it wouldn't work there. Wink

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't even mess with feed in short action ultra mags and 284s anymore. They are just on going battles. To many guys aren't satisfied with: "most of the time."

One of my customers came in with a SAU the other day, proud as punch because he had sent it to one of my competitors after I spun him around and pointed him at the door. My competition had apparently made it run after 3 months of monkeying around with it. He went to show me and the first round jumped out of the mag and on to the floor when he pulled the bolt back. (he felt he hadn't staggered it correctly in the mag) It skipped over the second round. I went back to my bench and went back to work and he fooled with it at the service counter for another half hour and then left. I expect my competition will get it back for another day of free fun and games. I have paying work to do. I know when I'm beat.

Not my circus. Not my monkeys.

ADD NOTE: Guns always feed better in New Mexico. It has something to do with gravitational forces and less expansion and contraction of metals due to a more stable temperature. The fact remains that not one person has been killed by a charging Rhino, Elephant, Lion or Grizzly Bear in New Mexico in over 200 years. While there are a few document cases of people being butted by road runners, rattle snakes and rampant Javelinas, no one seems to get hurt too bad.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by speerchucker30x378:
I don't even mess with feed in short action ultra mags and 284s anymore. They are just on going battles.

Q./ why is it we don't hear ongoing complaints on AR from owners with such short-faT cartridge rifles that don't feed?

Do Kimber WSM rifles have regular feed problems?

quote:
Originally posted by ColoradoMatt:
Matt

People like Ralf Martini can get 2.8" WSMs to feed through a sr-Kurz mauser,
he could be the type of person to get .284win reliably working through a Kimber.

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Savage M-99 in 284 feeds perfectly------

tu2

"The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane." Mark Twain
TANSTAAFL

www.savannagems.com A unique way to own a piece of Africa.

DSC Life
NRA Life

Posts: 3386 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 05 September 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would imagine that it would feed about as, not-very-well as every other gun the 284 has ever been built into.

EXCEPT, for the guy who's going to tell me that his has never miss-fed once in the last 10,000 rounds. I know you're reading this! And I know yours feeds fine. No one elses ever fed. But yours did. Or does. But I'm not talking about yours. I'm talking about all the other ones.

Gotta remember your eight P's to cover your ass when you make statements like that. Proper Pre Planning Positively Prevents Piss Poor Performance !

I didn't know that there was a controversy about feeding issues with the 284. I hunt with a custom 6.5x284 and shoot it in F class matches and have never had a feeding issue. My gun is in a Montana Rifle CO. short action, which is really a mid-sized action and will take cartridges over 3.2". But, my chamber is cut to minimum body diameter and the neck is .002" smaller than SAAMI spec

Is the standard 284 that much different?

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12595 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't even mess with feed in short action ultra mags and 284s anymore. They are just on going battles. To many guys aren't satisfied with: "most of the time."

One of my customers came in with a SAU the other day, proud as punch because he had sent it to one of my competitors after I spun him around and pointed him at the door. My competition had apparently made it run after 3 months of monkeying around with it. He went to show me and the first round jumped out of the mag and on to the floor when he pulled the bolt back. (he felt he hadn't staggered it correctly in the mag) It skipped over the second round. I went back to my bench and went back to work and he fooled with it at the service counter for another half hour and then left. I expect my competition will get it back for another day of free fun and games. I have paying work to do. I know when I'm beat.

Not my circus. Not my monkeys.

ADD NOTE: Guns always feed better in New Mexico. It has something to do with gravitational forces and less expansion and contraction of metals due to a more stable temperature. The fact remains that not one person has been killed by a charging Rhino, Elephant, Lion or Grizzly Bear in New Mexico in over 200 years. While there are a few document cases of people being butted by road runners, rattle snakes and rampant Javelinas, no one seems to get hurt too bad.

Ok, now I ge it, if you can't do it it can't be done. Keep pushin' those bullets out, it pays better.

John Farner

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Toomany Tools:

Ok, now I ge it, if you can't do it it can't be done. Keep pushin' those bullets out, it pays better.
rotflmo

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sean Russell:
My Savage M-99 in 284 feeds perfectly------

tu2

Is that thanks to a rotary magazine?

Posts: 5011 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

ADD NOTE: Guns always feed better in New Mexico.

I don't have a CRF mauser, but my push feed custom Rem M700 SA clones have mag-fed 3500-4000 7mm Winchester Short magnums and 7mm Super Short Magnum wildcats since 2011. To the best of my memory I've never had one jump from the mag, double feed, or not strip one from the mag unless the bolt was short-stroked.

Given how fat and stubby the 7wssm is I cannot see why a 284Win would ever pose an issue.

Then again all of those shots were in NM. So I'm just giving your theory another data point. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have paying work to do. I know when I'm beat.

Not at all John. I have made 284s feed 99% of the time many times. The odd time, almost 100%. The problem is that I have had one too many guys bring them in because they have one miss feed out of 1000 and then bring them back and back again. I just chose to wash my hands of making short, fat cartridges feed. We all have our pet peeves.

Like I said: "I have paying work to do. I know when I'm beat." And there are plenty of other guys out there that like to tinker with stuff so I just spread the wealth and I let them have it. I'm just that nice of a guy. LOL

Now if I lived in New Mexico - - - - LMAO ROFF

dancing

Rod Henrickson

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
LOL! Another thing I learned is that since we live in New Mexico and don't hunt dangerous game here our rifles don't really need to work correctly. Hope you don't mind me having a laugh over this.

I understand completely what you're saying. For me it's Mosin-Nagant rifles; obsolete before WWI started, they are interesting pieces of history, but I think they are total POS. I don't drill & tap he for modern scopes and will not bend their bolt handles, jobs o get call about almost every week. A couple months back a fellow called me to ask if I could cut back and thread the barrel of his "Target Rifle". I was busy when he called and just said "Sure". He came right over carrying a huge case, set it on the bench and opened it up; yes, it was Mosin installed in an "Archangel" stock. I explained to him that just because you shoot targets with it that doesn't make it a target rifle.

John Farner

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I understand completely what you're saying. For me it's Mosin-Nagant rifles; obsolete before WWI started, they are interesting pieces of history, but I think they are total POS. I don't drill & tap he for modern scopes and will not bend their bolt handles, jobs o get call about almost every week. A couple months back a fellow called me to ask if I could cut back and thread the barrel of his "Target Rifle". I was busy when he called and just said "Sure". He came right over carrying a huge case, set it on the bench and opened it up; yes, it was Mosin installed in an "Archangel" stock. I explained to him that just because you shoot targets with it that doesn't make it a target rifle.

O.M.G. ! ! ! !

Don't get me started on those damned things. If I wasn't a whore and I had any pride, I wouldn't work on the fool things. The problem is that guys actually will PAY ME, to work on them ! $75 guns and guys ask me to put GAZILLIONS of dollars worth of work into them, to make a $75 gun out of them. To date, the craziest one was a fellow who just had to have an M14 sight on one. I think I quoted him $300 to set it up in the lathe and cut the profile. Then swap it over to the mill and cut the splines. Then back to the lathe to thread it. He never blinked an eye at the cost so I booked it in and did it. He was happy as a liberal with a bunch of new social programs. LOL

ADD NOTE: Just for giggles. I get a lot of guys in here that are Vasily Zaitsev wannabes. They bring in those replica scopes for the Mosins and give me a couple hundred bux to drill & tap them and mill the base so the fool thing can be sighted in. Without fail about 20% (probably the guys that actually shoot them) come back in and tell me that they can't get groups better than 8 inches at 100 yards. Let alone shoot a German, Brit or Yank at 1000 yards. I look them straight in the eye and say: "Yeah, but Vasily Zaitsev was a good shot." That usually brings an end to the conversation. LMAO ROFF

Rod Henrickson