Find
Notify
Tools

M70 grip cap suggestions
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted
I'm going to (attempt to) install a new recoil pad on my M70 in .338 and figured while I was at it I might as well get rid of the cheap plastic factory grip cap. Does anyone know where I could acquire a nice looking, relatively inexpensive black grip cap? The rifle is stainless in walnut, but has a matte black scope and (hopefully) a black Pachmayr Decelerator pad, which should look real nice with a matte black grip cap and sling. Any leads?

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
I replaced the plastic grip cap on my Model 70 Super Express .458 Win.Mag. with a steel replacement cap by world-famous stockmaker Jerry Fisher. This is not a cheap part, but it isn't exactly expensive, either. In fact, it's of the highest quality and well-worth its price. I bought mine from Brownell's.

www.brownells.com

These come in-the-white, so you'll have to get yours blued, but it fits the style of the Model 70 perfectly, and you'll never have to replace it.

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice one Allen, I have used the Dakotas, and made 3 of my own. Ill have to get one and Doll it up. It doesnt much pay for me to make my own, unless I am just screwing around, and I am slow [Big Grin]

[ 07-09-2003, 04:06: Message edited by: smallfry ]

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The caps Ruger uses on the #1 are steel and a pretty nice looking, I've used them on a couple stocks. Brownells carries them.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have replaced all my model 70 grip caps with super-grade grip caps. $17.00 at brownells. Also replaced the trigger guard with a williams steel.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can use upper end grip caps such as Fishers or Dressels and they will cost you about $25. You can get Leonard Brownells one screw grip caps for around $7 and they also look very nice. You will however have to clean them up as they are "as cast". The work is not that difficult and can be accomplished with some cloth backed sandpaper while watching a tv show. Be aware that the grip cap may not fit the shape of your grip.

[ 07-09-2003, 09:07: Message edited by: Customstox ]

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote