New
Find
Notify
Tools

help on a Frontier Scout '62
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A bud has a Colt Frontier Scout '62 he picked up for a song and a dance. He wants to restore it. The frame is cast aluminum and it appears if the blue was painted on it. Can someone recommend what to use to reblue the frame and how to go about doing it. Thank you ... Tom Purdom

Posts: 499 | Location: Eudora, Ks. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The one I have has the frame left natural, and I know it came from the factory that way. There were later models that had the frame blackened (not sure what they used), but perhaps a previous owner blackened the frame on this one. You can't "reblue" aluminum, you can only blacken or coat it. I would check the serial # on one of the Colt sites, and if it was one of the original two tone guns, I would simply clean it up and leave it alone. Conversley, if it did have the black frame, Brownells sells a product called Alumiblack or something like that, which if memory serves did the job (I haven't used any for a long time). FWIW - dan

"Intellectual truth is eternally one: moral or sentimental truth is a geographic and chronological accident that varies with the individual" R.F. Burton

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Dan, I appreciate the help. Tom Purdom

Posts: 499 | Location: Eudora, Ks. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote