New
Find
Notify
Tools

My 7 X 57 finished
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A while back I picked up a M24/47 action from Elcaballero for a 7mm I have been wanting. I finally got it together. I did all the work other than having the bolt handle welded on and fitting up the barrel and chambering it. I has a 26 inch Shilen barrel cocking piece sight was made by Rusty Marlin. I reworked the military floor plate with a hinge and lever and drilled it for a scope. I got the stock from Northwood Gunstocks. I tried to copy the best I could the Rigby Mauser lines and so marked the barrel 275 Rigby the other side shows 7X57 in case I ever use it outside the USA, Next step is to get the stock off to Bill Soverns after the first of the year. Thought I might share the photos with you all.

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1510 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Very nice rifle...love the classic Mauser Look.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice job!!!!!!!! thumb

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Just too cute!!

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19334 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Love those Mausers!

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic job! Congrats - love the lines, and the nice use of the intermediate action on an intermediate round.

TG

Posts: 341 | Location: MI | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Guillermo Amestoy
posted Hide Post
Very nice, Congratulations!!! tomorrow I will post some photos of my entirely ownmade DWM 1909 .300WM Mauser Stutzen.

"Every ignored reallity prepares its revenge!"

Posts: 883 | Location: Provincia de Cordoba - Republica Argentina -Southamerica | Registered: 09 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent job. I am wondering about that 26 inch barrel though. Are you going to use the gun for hunting?

Guillermo

Are 1909 Argentine Actions plentiful down there where you are?

one of us
Picture of duikerman
posted Hide Post
very nice

Posts: 770 | Location: colorado | Registered: 11 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Guillermo Amestoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
Excellent job. I am wondering about that 26 inch barrel though. Are you going to use the gun for hunting?

Guillermo

Are 1909 Argentine Actions plentiful down there where you are?

Hundreds of them in four military models
infantery model (longest),engineers carbine, artillery carbine and cavalry model (shortest)
some pictures infantery model
[IMG:left] [/IMG]

A enginers models....

"Every ignored reallity prepares its revenge!"

Posts: 883 | Location: Provincia de Cordoba - Republica Argentina -Southamerica | Registered: 09 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The pendlum swings...You've captured the spirit of the "classic" Seems we always come back to basics...great job!

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
You did that up right, and fast! I wish I could get my projects completed in a timely manner.

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2094 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello - Nice Job.

I like your treatment of the stock in the area between the cutout and bolt release, Yours looks "strong" but stylish. Lots of stocks have a dinky little "spike" of wood that is easily damaged on a rifle that will be carried in our mountain hunting areas.

Could you post or email (prices @ woosh.co.nz ) a few more photos of this area ??

Did you do the bluing ?? What process ?? I like it.

Cheers - Foster

Posts: 605 | Location: Southland, New Zealand | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Rolland

very nicely done.

rich

Posts: 6440 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rolland,
You make me want to sit on David Christman's doorstep waiting on mine. Nice work.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice. Job well done!

Thaine
"Begging hands and bleeding hearts will always cry out for more..." Ayn Rand

"Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here, we might as well dance" Jeanne C. Stein

Posts: 730 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tentman email on the way with photos.

22wrf what is your concern with 26 inch barrel?
I don't walk a lot anymore so sitting give me better chance to use it, besides if they get toooclose i will but a bayonet on bananait

NRA life member
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1510 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
Seeing this beautiful work has inspired me to get my 7x57 projects finished. Absoloutely beautiful work!!!!!

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rolland

No concern with the 26 inch barrel. None at all. Its just that one doesn't often see a custom hunting 7 x 57 with a 26 inch barrel. Most one sees in that caliber are from 22-24 inches.

Did you, or are you going to put a little bit of weight in the buttstock in order to balance it for carrying?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
22wrf
For now I will leave it it balances nicely the stock is pretty dense, I will see once I put a scope on it, that may change things.

NRA life member
NRA Golden Eagles member

One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
I used a 26" barrel on my 7x57, balance is great and velocity is about 100 fps faster than the loading manuals project.

It's not as nice as your's, but it did account for it's third whitetail buck yesterday Big Grin

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote