THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Holes in a p-64, how much does it hurt the value?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Holes in a p-64, how much does it hurt the value?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Would be interested to hear some thoughts on this.

So say you're looking at an otherwise nice p-64 model 70 that has been drilled for a side mount. It is nice in just about all other respects, and the work looks to done well. Lets say it is currently fitted with some plugs that fit okay too.

Clearly this is no longer a collector, nor suitable for a custom, but obviously would be just fine to use as a shooter.

So lets say that IMHO, if this nice 30-06 would have been worth about $700 without holes, how much would it be worth with the holes?

I know there will be a lot of variation on this, like depends what YOU want it for, etc, but prevailing market value is also important as you never know what will happen, and nobody plain likes to pay more for something that it is actuially worth.

Well.....?

--Bob

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How about a .375 pre-64 that would otherwise bring $2K but has extra holes and went for $675?

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Blackbart2. IMHO about 100.00 if the stock is unaltered. There are just to many 06's out there that are unaltered in very nice condition in the 5-700 range to even fool with a drilled side mount action.

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If anyone out there has any pre-64s that have been drilled for a 100-the guy that said they are worth 100 doesn't have a clue-an unaltered stock will bring around 200 on e-bay the bolt will go 200 or more-hell the action screws bring 20.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
300 H-H,
Jimmy knows his way around a pre 64, has a few of them himself and I know that he is responding to the title of the thread. How much would it hurt the value, not what is it worth. The value is more of a local issue most of the time. A good one here does not go for $700 around here, but the depreciation for the holes is probably fairly consistent. My guess is that $100 might be a bit low. If you want it back to "original" (okay you can't get it back to no holes but you understand) it may cost you more than $100 to get it there.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My point of view on these has simply been to figure out what the original sidemount was, find one on ebay, and screw it on.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jimmy- My apology-re reading your post i see i misunderstood you.

one of us
posted Hide Post
In my opinion if you find yourself a G & H side-fit scope mount you will not hurt but enhance the value. There are many out there that would rather have a fully dressed rifle as long as the dressing is period as well. That would also include an Alaskan scope.
With the crazy frenzy on model 70's right now anything that comes close will bring way too much money
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
300, no problem. I see these guns for sale all the time and just try not to buy unless really cheap and then find the right side mount.
I really don't need to stock pile any more, actions,barrels and stocks as I am starting to feel over run. Several projects are just in the waiting room.

Just FYI there is a bare 06' action over on GB at 136.00

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Those G&H side mount get Very spendy fast on ebay. I bid on one last year and stopped watching the auction cause It turned into several Franklin notes

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would pay 350.00 or 400.00.
I might put the peep on it and rebarrel to a whelen or a 9.3X62. I don't know why you would,nt make a custon on it, mabye not a whole hog 5 figure rifle but nothing wrong with setiing it up how you want it ! ...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My rule of thumb for standard calibre guns is subtract $100.00 for each "new" hole. Subtract another $150 if the wood has been altered. Supergrades become parts guns if altered, and I'll take 50% or more on altered guns which places them at approximately the same value as any other model 70.
Since I don't own a supergrade I'm probably full of prunes, but that is all I'll pay.

one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
Are the holes really obvious and how bad do you really want this rifle?

If the holes/plugs are below the stockline and aren't obvious and the stock isn't altered, and you want the rifle, what is there to stock you from buying it? You are probably going to have to haggle for it anyway - use the holes as leverage during price negotiation. Subtract a couple hundred from the asking price and see what happens?

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
to do it right the holes have to be cleaned up inside too .........

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote