Find
Notify
Tools

1911A1 45 auto extractor
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Concho42
posted
I am assembling a parts gun and the extractor is to tight to let brass engage , Jerry Kunhausen book does not show how to lessen the grip on brass ? I am assuming that the rounded part at center of extractor is where metal is removed to reduce spring tension ?
Please advise ? Thank you all !

Don't take the chip !

Posts: 578 | Location: PA | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Don't remove ANY material. The tension is set by "CAREFULLY" bending the forward portion of the extractor, ahead of the "knuckle", in or out until your extractor tension gauge pulls free.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx...OR_TENSION_GAUGE_SET

You will also need some form of trigger pull gauge.

It's possible to set the tension without the gauge, however, you may go through several extractors while developing the "feel".

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Concho42
posted Hide Post
Thank You Very much this is what I needed to know I have never had ocasion to adjust a 45 extractor .

Don't take the chip !

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I'll go on the record saying that assembling a 1911 from parts without the proper training and tools is a very dangerous thing to do. Please do not attempt to fire such a pistol without having it thouroughly checked by a compitent pistol smith first.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chuck1911
posted Hide Post
Ditto

Chuck Warner
Pistolsmith
/

Posts: 332 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 15 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
What those boys said and the 1911 is a very simple design that relies upon some very complex and exact geometry lining up at just the correct time.

Have a smith check it out before hand.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Concho42
posted Hide Post
Thanks fellows I value all your openions and help !

Don't take the chip !

One of Us
Picture of Concho42
posted Hide Post
This Kit has a commander coil spring 22 coils this model needs 32 coils can someone advise where to get the proper length coil spring for the 1911A1 5" barrel

Don't take the chip !

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Westpac:
Don't remove ANY material. The tension is set by "CAREFULLY" bending the forward portion of the extractor, ahead of the "knuckle", in or out until your extractor tension gauge pulls free. ...
Huuummm..., I thought "you" ALWAYS used a Side Grinder. rotflmo

HAPPY 4th Jar Head - Semper Fi! BOOM

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
quote:
Originally posted by Westpac:
Don't remove ANY material. The tension is set by "CAREFULLY" bending the forward portion of the extractor, ahead of the "knuckle", in or out until your extractor tension gauge pulls free. ...
Huuummm..., I thought "you" ALWAYS used a Side Grinder. rotflmo

HAPPY 4th Jar Head - Semper Fi! BOOM

One in each hand teufel hunden, Semper Fi!

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote