Find
Notify
Tools

Help with a model 29 savage pump 22
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Cyclotronjunkey
posted
Hi guys; let me first say I am by no means a gunsmith but have general mechanical ability with that said. I have got a model 29 savage 22 pump. I think it is a pre A or B model because I bought the guts and trigger assembly out of a model 29 A on ebay and they are close but no cigar. It will not feed shell from the tube to the chamber it looks like the shell slides down to far. You can load it one at a time with no problem. When I take it apart at the bottom of the action it looks like a lever comes up to stop the shell when you operate the pump. Is it possible this is the cause of my problems and if so what do I do to it?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't think that there are many Savage 29 experts here. While I've worked on a few, they are certainly not the most common thing to walk in the door. Feed problems in old 22 repeaters can be difficult to repair with the gun in your hands and impossible on-line. Many times the problem is not one part but an accumulation of wear and tear on the whole mechanism. That said, here's what I'd do.

Sit and watch the mechanism function. You've already been doing this. Figure out what each part's function is, then figure out what isn't doing it's job. Then figure out what you have to do to fix that.

About now you're probably saying "well DUH! Tell me what I don't know.". Guns, particularly old 22 repeaters, don't have a diagnostic routine to go through that at the end says "replace part X". The problems are usually subtle and cummulative.

I generally like to know what a replacement part costs before working on the one I have so I'll know the downside if I screw the pooch. The part you need may be unavailable so you'll have to repair the part you have. Do not remove more material as I've never found the problem to be that the part has grown larger. Trust me, that's an easy thing to forget when you're reaching for a file. Removing burrs is OK. What you'll probably have to do is build up the part by welding, then recut it. Since you can only guess what the original dimensions were, you have to take your best guess. And do it over if necessary.

The only other thing I can offer is "good luck". A lot of gunsmiths won't work on old 22 rifles because they take more time than they are worth, customer's balks at the price tag. But if you have the time, mechanical ability and patience, you'll figure it out.

Mark Pursell

Posts: 545 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What do you mean "You can load it one at a time with no problem." Does this mean that the gun will feed with only one round in the magazine?

There is a little lever that pivots in and out of the magazine throat when the bolt is opened and closed. This lever is the cartridge stop lever. It's job is to regulate the feeding of rounds from the magazine to the bolt. With the bolt in the closed position, the lever allows one round to enter the receive which stops against the lower face of the bolt.

The 2nd round is held in place by the nose of the first round until the operating handle begins it's rearward movement. A special cutout on the operating handle actuates the cartridge stop lever so that as the handle is moved to the rear, the lever swings in and intercepts the 2nd round and keeps it from entering the receiver.

As the operating handle continues rearward, the carrier, via a "race way" and "cam" configuration, lifts the cartridge into place, in line with the chamber. As the operating handle is moved forward, the bolt pushes the cartridge into the chamber and the handle toggles the cartridge stop lever, releasing the next round from the magazine.

Now, with 1 round in the magazine, the gun in a safe place and pointed away from ANYTHING that could be damaged, destroyed or killed, and, with your finger AWAY from the trigger, hand feed one round from the magazine and look to see what happens. If that works, then try 2 rounds.

To manually operate the action, you will need to depress and hold the bolt release lever which is located on the side of the trigger guard. The hammer would normally trip this lever as it moves into the fired position, but since you WON'T be actually firing the rifle at first, you will need to manually depress the release lever to get the bolt to function.

BTW, the Savage 29A is a complete re-design of the standard 29, and the 29B is the 29A with the receiver grooved to accept a tip off scope mount.

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Malm that is what I was looking for I am out of town until Monday but when I return I will take a look and see what I can do. This is a family gun that me my father and his learned to hunt with and hopefully my son so if I cant fix it the cost is not the issue. I just like to do things for myself if possible and with some help maybe I can.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am sorry I didn't answer your question yes it will feed with only one round in the magazine...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ihave never worked on a Savage 29 but; Gun parts inc shows a cartridge stop. I have seen a few Winchester 06/62 rifles where where a similar part wears down.Just a little bit will allow the second cartridag to enter the elevator.
Good luck!

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote