Find
Notify
Tools

SAKO 223 TO 6.5 Grendel
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted
I know Sako chambered the AI in 22 and 6mm PPC, which has a head diameter of .445. I have a spare AI action which was originally a 223 - .378. Is there enough meat on the front of the bolt to open it to .445?

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
I am no gunsmith, but I think your ? is about the same action different bolt face being opened to a PPC head, which has been done by factory. I heard but do not know the validity that some may have opened those to BR size heads-same as 308 bolt face.

I would believe it can be, but do consider also the 6.5x47 on the slighty larger AII or L579 Action.....I am. It will give you a little more punch and reach should you want it.

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
It should have plenty of room for the PPC head size. If I recall, the bolt diameter is .600.

The 6.5 Grendel is an excellent cartridge. I would be willing to bet that we will see it in the future of benchrest shooting. It is so inherently accurate.

I have built many ARs in this chambering and they all shoot very good. I use the bolt spec chamber in my ARs which is .001" smaller diameter at the neck than the semi-auto version.

What makes this cartridge so great is that there is an abundance of quality brass by necking up the 6PPC. The chamberings I choose in my own personal rifles are determined on whether or not I can find quality brass, Lapua, Norma, etc.

Jon

Posts: 13 | Location: Ridgefield, WA | Registered: 28 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Merry Christmas! Thanks for the great information. Now I need to decide on the 6.5 Grendel,6.5 TCU or 204 Ruger. Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote