Find
Notify
Tools

Skeleton Butt Plate
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gentlemens:

I am looking for a nice machined skeleton plate. I checked with Mr. Biessen but his is 5-1/4 tall and I have only 5" of wood. The Dakota Arms plate would work, but they say none will be available until Christmas. The scalloped point plate is available, but I am not liking the look of that. Gazalan offers one for $150 but that seems a bit dear.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Glenn

Posts: 254 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 02 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Use a file on the Biesen plate

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think Stan McFarland make this type. I don't know the size or his contact number. He sells his checkered bolt handles thru Brownells. Maybe they could supply you with his number or someone here would have it. Also try a google search. He might be listed on the ACGG member list.
Bob

One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
You could get one of the solid Dakota plates and have your gunsmith skeletonize it...just a thought. Good luck!

Good hunting,

Andy

-----------------------------
Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 5" one that I am putting on a shotgun. I put it on a gun some time ago and the customer then wanted a rubber pad installed. He wanted it for free because of what he paid for the other work. After some explaining he understood that his change of mind did not negate the work I did.

Back on track.... if memory serves me and it has been some time, I just reshaped the bottom of the butt plate. You have to be careful to do it accurately or it will stick out like a sore thumb. I got this one from Stan McFarland but I do not believe he is making them anymore. If you don't like the scalloped ones, you can reshape the internal shape on them. I did one of those once and did a point pattern on the butt plate and it looked okay.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is a butt plate requested that was a small size. Notice the inside was cut out with a round Rem carbide hack saw blade and finished by filing.

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What type and thickness of steel did you use, Les?

one of us
posted Hide Post
22WRF'
I used 1018 steel 3/16" thick and formed a slight roll to the edges. The shaping was filed down to the outer edge and curved like most other plates.

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Les,

Very nice looking work...just my personal preference, but NOTHING looks as good on a wooden stocked rifle as well executed steel hardware, and you seem to have it down pretty well!

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote